Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century C shutter "ghosting" Adjustments (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Century C shutter "ghosting" Adjustments
Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I recently replaced the intermittent in my Century C projector, so that mine can be repaired. I've re-timed and re-re-timed the shutter, and spin the knob in both directions, but I still seem to have an irregular streak or ghost from time to time. It was bad last night, so I cracked the case open and re-timed it (yet again) today. Now it's running fine with the test loop, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I'll have a ghost later.

My first thought is that the screws are no longer gripping the shaft and causing the shutter to slide over time. I can certainly get new screws to drop in, but is there maybe something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-08-2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are getting a true streak, then timing is your trouble. If you get an occasional up or down streak at random, then you may have a shutter bearing going bad. Even new bearings do not always help, since the newer bearings are very very intolerant of end loading and out-of-trueness. (being lined up precisely.) Louis

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 04:50 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just started the film up and bingo, the movie was a streak-fest. I adjusted it as much as it would go, to a mere ghost, but at this point, it's pretty steady. I don't think it's a bearing problem. But could it also be related to the movement of the intermittent? I may have replaced a dud with a dud.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-08-2007 05:32 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the knob will not adjust the shutter unless it is within range. Center the shutter knob. Loosen the shutter hub. Slowly turn 2 intermittent teeth down. Retighten hub after centering the blade, completely closed. It is important not to turn the shutter shaft when moving the shutter hub. Hold it firmly in one hand while rotating the shutter. Louis

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go re-adjust it now. Thanks, Louis. I'll report back soon.

Mark

UPDATE:

Okay, with careful re-adjusting of the shutter, centering the knob, and lots of careful back and forth, I have reduced the streakfest to an irregular up or down streak. Picture is good for about thirty seconds, then a blip of streak appears either at the top or bottom. The knob won't correct it, because when it's clear, it's clear.

If the problem isn't the intermittent itself, then could it be the bearings?

Mark

[ 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Mark Farr-Nash ]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-08-2007 10:48 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the fire shutter can interfere with the image in a way that looks kind of like travel ghost. Try making sure it's all the way up. Also, looking at the the image in the port glass can often help you get a better understanding of these these problems.

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-09-2007 02:50 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do one of the shutter blades have a small crack in them (located in the blade where it passes the aperture)?

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 08:55 AM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much play is in the entire gear train? When you turn the motor flywheel back and forth by hand, how far can you go before everything hooks up? Do you have a sloppy gear pin or something that changes the position of the shudder to the intermittant in varying amounts depending on load? All the gears are helical so if a gear fits nicely on the shaft, but can move along the length of the shaft a little bit, it can change the timing in either direction.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2007 11:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott's on the right track. I'd check the "intermediate" gear. This is the long fat gear on the vertical shaft that actually drives the intermittent movement. Check to make sure its retaining collar on the top hasn't come loose, or that the gear's not missing teeth. The slot and/or driving key can also become worn on this gear and can cause flashes of travel ghost.

Also, check your shutter shaft for proper tension and clearance to the vertical shaft shutter drive gear. There should be just a slightly-perceptible back lash in the gear mesh, and the shaft should not "bounce" when running.

I think you'll find your problem in one of these areas.

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I checked the drive shafts, and I could indeed detect a noticeable movement (is it bouncing if it moves horizontally) along the horizontal shaft that is connected to the shutter. It moves the shutter closer and farther away in a slightly irregular pattern. My other projector doesn't have that movement on the shaft.

I checked the gears out and they appear to have all of their teeth. I checked the play by turning the intermittent by hand and found that the teeth immediately engage.

Could it be the shaft, then, that's causing my problems?

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a spring load on that shaft. If bearings are OK, then tighten up the spring load. If the spring load is already OK, then small hang ups in the bearings will translate into a "bump" of the shaft from front to back. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its also a good idea to check that the shutter loading spring does not suffer from compression set... after decades of being under compresson many of them do. Just compare it to a new spring side by side....

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-10-2007 09:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had shutter timing issues when the hub of a gear is slipping within the fibre gear too. Mind you it isn't like it is slipping sloppy loose but enough that the stress of start up will cause it to rotate slightly.

Note, the shutter shaft bouncing is an indicator of ANYTHING in the gear train being amiss. Being the fastest spinning thing in the projector (with relatively low mass), it will show off any instability.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2007 05:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I've had shutter timing issues when the hub of a gear is slipping within the fibre gear too.
I've only had this happen on Simplex X-L's.

Mark

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was having this kind of trouble back in the spring and my problem was a warped drive-In shutter blade. Louis sold me a New one and problem was fixed. Of course, you may have another problem. Found the solution to my problem right here with the good buddie of Film Tech.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: