Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century Model "C" Fireroller Issues

Author Topic: Century Model "C" Fireroller Issues
Charles M. Allen
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 02:20 PM      Profile for Charles M. Allen   Email Charles M. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My booth is equipped to project nitrate film. A major reason for this is that the Century C projector has enclosed Feed and Take-Up Magazines with fire-rollers. I am encountering a film tracking problem. The film, after coming off the upper feed magazine is tracking too far inboard, rubbing against the inside edge of the upper feed magazine. This is causing tears in prints if not monitored very closely. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Does anyone have any advice on this subject?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 06:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Charles

Is there a stopper adjustment on the spindle that's allowing the spool to go further back? Or perhaps he magazine itself has moved?

Assuming this has not always been the case, it's a minor adjustment issue.

Welcome to Film-Tech, BTW. [thumbsup]

John

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 06:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loosen the screws that hold on the magazine. Twist to adjust tracking and retighten screws. Louis

Charles M. Allen
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 01:15 PM      Profile for Charles M. Allen   Email Charles M. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Thanks for your responses. The magazines have certainly moved over the years, but adjusting the magazines themselves doesn't fix the problem, I've tried that on numerous occasions. Currently, we are looking into adding washers to force the reel further out on the spindle. If that doesn't fix the problem we are looking at widening the diameter of the fixed screw hole to allow more room so the magazine can come out further. Also we are contacting Wolk in Chicago to see if they have Century "C" spindles and replacement tension springs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-06-2007 01:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They may well have what you need and don't know it. I make an office copy of my shaft and then mark each hole and flat on it. If you have a micrometer, add proper dimensions, too. Louis

Charles M. Allen
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 04:27 PM      Profile for Charles M. Allen   Email Charles M. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning Wolk, I was wondering if anyone has any leads on other film exhibition equipment suppliers as my institution has generally gone to Wolk(only) when we need older replacement parts. Thanks, this forum is great.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: