Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Grounding 35mm Sound

Author Topic: Grounding 35mm Sound
James Michael Smith
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for James Michael Smith   Author's Homepage   Email James Michael Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,
I'm running and nonprofit cinema in Columbia, South Carolina. There is a hum that i'm thinking might be the result of the sound head not being grounded. Where do I ground into in the sound head and then in the projection booth. If anyone has a suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

James Smith
Director of Theater Operations
Nickelodeon Theatre

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 04:50 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this forum. You may want to give a little more information. What type of sound heads are you using? Are they using exciter lamps or led readers? An old problem with exciter lamps was that the emergency lamp supply sometimes was fed directly from low voltage AC. In that case 60HZ hum would be heard in the sound until the supply was fixed. Another issue could be the exciter supply itself. I also saw a problem once where the feeds to the lamphouse rectifiers were run in the same trough with the sound feed. That also was causing hum. A little more info and the folks here will probably nail your problem.

James Michael Smith
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 08:07 PM      Profile for James Michael Smith   Author's Homepage   Email James Michael Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,
I am using Red LED lights. Its a 40 Series Component Engineering reader

Thanks!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-04-2007 09:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Follow the instructions with your LED units. Usually you don't want to connect to your soundhead frame, but leave the LED kit floating as per its instructions. Louis

Henry O'Connell
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 10:11 PM      Profile for Henry O'Connell   Email Henry O'Connell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it also could be a ground problem from your rack. check grounding of any other equipment you are using. don't forget the evil ground loop too. did this just happen or is this an ongoing problem?

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 10:34 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you switch the processor to the non-sync input (or some other input that doesn't use the optical sound readers), does the problem go away?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A frequent cause of 35mm sound hum is light from a booth fixture, either AC incandescent or fluorescent, shining into the sound head. Shielding the photocell or simply closing the soundhead door can often eliminate this.

Brant Veilleux
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 02:54 PM      Profile for Brant Veilleux   Author's Homepage   Email Brant Veilleux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to see if you might have a transformer or "wall wart" plugged in on the same circuit as a audio amp or other audio equipment. I have run in to this problem with A.L.D. power supplies being the cause.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 03:08 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the beauty of having the BACP babies!! When you have humming you can see it from the LED's on the reader thus you can make several tests until they dissapear (or blow the reader!!!! [Big Grin] ) You need to provide with more info like projector model, what power supply you use for the Red LED Reader, what sound equipment you have (processor, amps e.t.c).

First suggestion would be to have the projector and the reverse reader completely switched off. Do you still hear the hum in the speakers if you select film (SR or A Mode on your processor?) If yes then the problem most probably derives from your rack.

If not, then I would suggest grounding the 0V of your DC power supply directly on the projector chassis. Make sure your projector is properly grounded and the rack also.
Demetris

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having some parts of the system on different phases of a 3 phase power system can result in hum. We battled that problem for a long time.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 05:30 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the theaters I now service had major hums when in any optical format when I first took over. The soundheads all had BACP readers installed several years ago. However, the original 3-conducter solar cell cable was never reaplaced. Running two Individually shielded pairs took care of the problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: