Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS demonstration disc

Author Topic: DTS demonstration disc
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have this DTS disc? I want to show the demo reel to some people, but I only have the film and no DTS disc. The SR sound is terrible and I want to show this with the proper sound.
The demonstration reel I'm talking about is the one with 3 Tom Cruise movies and two guys are doing the intro...

Can anybody share this disc with me?

The SR sound on this film is really bad. There are popping sounds, the speech is like somebody is talking in a can.
Is there any way to fix this in a easy way?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-30-2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the vintage of the "Buzz and Bill" film, it will be Dolby-A not SR and it is an excellent example of crossmod distortion with red-light readers.

As I recall, DTS will give away the Buzz and Bill Disc to be used with that film as it is their main demo reel.

Steve

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2007 09:08 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need the disc before september 4th, so asking them from DTS isn't the best option for me.

In danger of asking something stupid and obvious, but can you tell if a analog soundtrack is Dolby-A or SR by looking at it?
Mono and Stereo is easy to see...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-30-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bastiaan Fleerkate
can you tell if a analog soundtrack is Dolby-A or SR by looking at it? Mono and Stereo is easy to see...
In a word, no.

The leaders are your best bet there. Also the backing track on ALL Dolby Digital encoded films is SR, per the Dolby Digital specification.

Would an ISO image of the B&B disc work for you?

-Aaron

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2007 02:22 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, having the film without the disc, you can demonstrate the biggest shortcoming of the format [Razz]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-30-2007 02:31 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Buzz and Bill Show" reel that I have has just Digital Sound printed on the leader, no other sound format marking. As with the early DTS releases the analog track was "A" noise reduction.
The discs I have are dated from June 27, 1997 and February 1, 1999.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-30-2007 07:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been said here before, all Dolby SR tracks will ALWAYS say Dolby SR in the leaders; if it just says DOLBY STEREO or just STEREO, then it's Dolby A. But the problem comes when the leaders are gone as is almost always the case of used trailers.

You would think that with all the whining about that wasted space in flat cropped 1.85:1 ar prints, they could use that unseen area to print sound and aspect ratio format information as well as reel numbers (wouldn't THAT be a godsend?!!). Not only would that forever answer questions a projectionist would have about the print sound and reel order, but would also slap him in his ass when he doesn't frame properly.

As for scope, that's what Kodak invented edge printing for. Hey, this would give Sony a way to prove their redundancy works.

But about that -- wouldn't light colored letter overlaid in the SDDS or the Dolby digital raster be invisible to the video camera in terms of any interference with the digital bit array? If that is the case (I am not saying it is....just a question), then they could print a wealth of information in the SDDS area since now they have a way to expose in that space (than you Sony). Something like this:

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: