Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Switch to connect multiple 6 channel inputs to CP55

Author Topic: Switch to connect multiple 6 channel inputs to CP55
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2007 01:47 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently DTS 6D is installed. We are adding Satellite and DVD player for alternative content.

Is there any switch available that I can connect the DTS outputs, the 6 channel satellite reciever output (post decoding) and 6 channel DVD player outputs and then have a selector switch for the input we want?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2007 05:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..sounds like changing out the processor to a CP650 would be the easier route on this one.

or, running a mixer board that would have all three devices attached, then plumb the six channel outputs from the mixer to the input strip on top of the backplane of the CP55 unit. Then, you'd have to watch out for ground loops, input impedences .. and all of that other neat jazz..

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-29-2007 06:04 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Google for a DB25 Manual Switch Box used for sharing parallel or serial computer peripherals. Make sure all 25 pins are switched. About $15.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-29-2007 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, I'm not quite sure how you think a CP650 would in any way solve this particular problem. If you got the full version I suppose that two of the sources could be inputted providing at least one offered the signal in digital form and it fed the option I/O connector.

It is too bad that Odyssey Products web site is so hopelessly out of date but they make a device that will switch multiple 6-channel sources. You can reach them at:

Odyssey Products, Inc.
5845 Oakbrook Parkway, Suite G
Norcross, GA 30093
Phone: 770.825.0243
Fax: 770.825.0245

Wohler either makes or made multichannel selectors...I don't see the products on their web site (besides the 2 channel stuff).

Smart/Panastereo made their MP64 with line level audio cards that could also nicely switch between multiple 6-channel sources (up to four if you buy all 4 cards for the frame). However, that may be one of their products they have slated for discontinuation. It wasn't cheap, but it was very good and quiet. You could always give them a call to see if they can still make you one.

Steve

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 12:18 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle,
Odyssey products does makes a board that might work. It only has two inputs though. It can be wired into the automation so that whenever the projector is running, the sound would switch to DTS. We use them on our digital/35 side by sides.
their number is 770.825.0243

Their website is usless. Everytime I talk to them they say the new site should be done soon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: