Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Recycling trailer spools & the like

Author Topic: Recycling trailer spools & the like
Lilian Burch
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2007 12:34 AM      Profile for Lilian Burch   Email Lilian Burch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how I can recycle trailer spools and the like? Is there somewhere I can send it - Technicolor, for example - so they can be reused? I hate to throw out anything that can be reused.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2007 01:02 AM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I save them in a box and wind the trailers back on to them when i break my ad reels down.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2007 01:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put trailers on them and then enclose a bunch with each print you send back. Just make sure you send the proper format and, if possible, send trailers that are appropriate for the feature. Some second-run theatre will appreciate those trailers.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-28-2007 02:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..then, if used or not used, the depots will send those trailers to the recycle bins as they do with the finished prints...

What I do .. wind a good bunch of trailers on a core, to the size of a regular reel (good buffer reel to fill in the hole for ETS print shipment returns..individual core winds for TECH print returns since they've got that 'spacer' reel.) and off it goes back to the depot for recycling.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-28-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really believe somebody actually recycles these things? I'm betting on the person who finds them in the box says "s---t, not again." and tosses it in the can.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2007 03:27 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Bill, you may be right.

Here's another thought. Lately, we have been getting (as I'm sure others have) prepaid packets from Disney asking to send back any of their unused trailers that come in the cans. I'm wondering if they feel that is cost effective, given the cost of producing them, then paying for return shipping?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's lawyers are probably simply trying to prevent them from being Ebay fodder.

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Lately, we have been getting (as I'm sure others have) prepaid packets from Disney asking to send back any of their unused trailers that come in the cans. I'm wondering if they feel that is cost effective, given the cost of producing them, then paying for return shipping?
I actually kind of like the way they do that. Sure as spit saves me time and helps encourage me to take up the effort of actually returning the things instead of letting them pile up on my shelves. Wish all studios would do that hehe.

Lilian Burch
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2007 11:07 PM      Profile for Lilian Burch   Email Lilian Burch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already rewind trailers on the spools and send them back if the distributor wants them back. I also put extras in the cans but I still seem to have a lot of extra.

If there is no sure way to recycle them, I'll look into donating them to schools for use in arts & crafts.

Thanks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2007 02:51 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lilian Burch
If there is no sure way to recycle them, I'll look into donating them to schools for use in arts & crafts
..could call up your local recycling dropoffs in your area and see if they do accept any/all forms of plastic since polyester would fall under the triangle "1" catagory...Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE or PET)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-08-2007 05:32 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's subsidiary FPC will do film recycling. If the film contains a silver soundtrack, then it's not a good idea to send it to a generic plastic recycling establishment. Cyan tracks should be ok, though...

I don't think it's a good idea to presume the depots will recycle (or enable re-use!) of trailers that you send back in cans. Frequently cans are not opened after a playdate, at least until the next one rolls around.

--jhawk

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if Mike Blakesley's theater plays a film 2-3 weeks after the break, and the depot doesn't bother to open the cans Mike's theater gets, doesn't that mean Mike will get any trailers left in the cans by the previous theater?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: