Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Elmo XP-550 Schematic

Author Topic: Elmo XP-550 Schematic
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 03:46 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up a pair of Elmo XP-550 16mm projectors that I use as part of my rental equipment. I need to see if anyone has a schematic for the remote plug (i.e speficially which pin is for Forward and Changeover. Or if you know the pin configuration, that would work too. I need to make another C/O box.

Thanks

Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-27-2007 04:32 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Below is the schematic from the maintenance manual for the remote control. I see nothing in the manual for the change-over. Note, accordingly to the overall machine schematic, pins 1 and 12 are apparently not used and have no internal connection.

I hope this helps.

-

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, the changeover was done by a remote box, into which the remote leads from both projectors were connected. The changeover was accomplished by instantaneously killing the lamp in the outgoing machine and switching on the one in the incoming one when you pressed the changeover button on the box. Those portable 16mm projectors have no changeover shutter, so that's the only way you can do it. The changeovers looked pretty seamless, though.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 06:33 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phil,

There is a C/O in this one and it opens up with the forward switch from the front panel but on the other pair that I have the changeover opens on a switch. So you can run the motor and then hit the changeover. I won't know until I open it up.

Thanks again

Bernie

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the elmo's opened the dowser on 3 or 4 sec after the motor started on the remote and the outgoing machine closed at that point

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-28-2007 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Elmos I've worked with...the CX-550 there was a changeover douser but a changeover was always an external box sort of thing for both picture and sound. You could buy the ELMO box or make one yourself.

The Elmo box did as Gordon said...you pressed the changeover button and stood back...it would fire up the incoming machine and several seconds later, open the douser. You fed the speaker outputs of both machines into the box, which had loading resistors and relay for making the sound switch. It did all of its controlling via the remote connectors.

Alternately, you were free to do it yourself using just switches. I think the CX550 manual is online (it is in the user manual for the CX350/550) which may give clues to the remote pinout with a changeover.

Steve

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the changeover box and remote box the same thing? Would there be a seperate schematic for the Changeover box.

Bernie

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-30-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, a remote is just as its name would imply...a remote control (wired) to control the varioius projector functions. It came with the projector.

The Changeover box was a stand alone piece made by Elmo that had a bit of a "home made" feel to it. I have never seen schematics on the C/O box myself though I have dealt with at least two of them. Mind you, the C/O boxes I've handled were for the CX series of projectors. I have no idea if they worked with the XP series.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: