Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Excesssive dynamic range in "Dirty Dancing"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Excesssive dynamic range in "Dirty Dancing"?
George May
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 06:23 AM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screen films out of doors in the summer using a mobile rig including a CP-55 with SR cards. This year "Dirty Dancing" has been my clients' number 1 choice.

I've screened it in SR, in stereo from the pre-amps fed to an FM transmitter for mobile drive-ins, and in stereo fed to a two-channel PA system at music festivals.

At all of these show I've had dynamic range problems. If I set the volume to be right for the dialogue, the musical numbers are overpoweringly loud; if I set it so the songs are good, the dialogue is well-nigh inaudible. The print looks to date from 2004. It's not got a cyan track.

Is it just the print I have been using, or a common problem? Any ideas?

Thanks.

George

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 07:25 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George,

Sounds like you have a really good business going for you. [beer]

The center channel caries the dialog. We have a local group that show DVDs outside on a screen attached to a building wall. (Yes! They do pay for the right to show them.) Their sound guy has only used the left and right tracks from the player into two amplifier and speaker channels. They have the same problem you describe, namely the dialog is too low to be heard.

Since you have a processor, you need to add the center channel back into the mix so that it can be heard. The left and right outputs from the processor contain very little dialog.

KEN

George May
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 07:53 AM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth, you've misunderstood me. When I say I use "stereo" that's the amplified L and R outputs from the solar cell, pre any Dolby processing.

George

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that movies...because some of mine client want a mp3 record from film before buying mine preamp for cinema...so accidentally that was movies I recorded him....about 10 min from last rell....and I didn't notice any problems like that.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: George May
When I say I use "stereo" that's the amplified L and R outputs from the solar cell, pre any Dolby processing.
I would say that's your first problem as it is not Processed Signal and the Centre Channel has not been decoded.

When I have done Outdoor Cinema Screenings, I have set up the L/C/R from the Dolby Processor into a Audio Mixing Desk and Pan the Centre Channel level between L/R, it is also helpful as you can adjust the Levels etc.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-26-2007 10:20 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George:

I ran unprocessed Dolby for years. Back when we were just transitioning from those window speakers, even unprocessed audio sounded better.

You really set your own baseline at a drive-in, because in a sense, each car is it's own "mini auditorium". Each of them has separate, horrible acoustics, so you can't adjust for that like you would a single-room sound system. Some patrons take the speakers out of the cars and set them on the roofs... so what IS normal, and how do you set your system up for it? Added to the challenge, the occupants of those cars have most likely been listening to excessively-processed FM radio stations, so any attempt on your part to expand that dynamic range only makes YOU sound strange.

At lower levels, the companding in SR brings background sounds up close to dialog levels and makes it difficult to separate them. At higher levels, the dynamics force people to constantly twiddle with their volume controls. Without decoding, you can't do anything about the way frequencies are rebalanced in the sound track. Some try to tone the highs down with equalization, but it'll always sound a little strange.

If you watch a scene where two people are on a sidewalk, trying to have a conversation near traffic, you'll immediately recognize this. Even with only a few cars going by, they always seem to sound like they're in downtown New York, and all the cars are 2 feet from the actors, who don't seem to notice.

The best solution I've found is to use properly decoded audio, mix the channels down to the two you need, then use some compression to reduce the dynamic range to suit the environment. That might seem contradictory, but it works.

SR decoding will restore the frequency AND dynamic balance, since the encoding process is based on both. However, at that point you have a process that can generate close to 80dB range at the outputs. FM can't handle much more than about 40, and the audio processing most stations use reduces that even more. Few films actually make use of that much range, but it's still much more than you can handle in a car or outdoor setting. If you set your audio for good dialog levels, quiet passages won't be heard, and loud noises can either clip or at worst, possibly damage a sound system.

The environment you're running your films in is hostile to dynamic range. In both outdoor and in-car environments you have higher ambient noise... traffic, conversation, animals, kids. Reducing the dynamics through compression will keep low passages at a level where they can be heard, while controlling those noisy songs and eliminating most of that knob-twiddling. In an outdoor setting, audio much more than about 20dB below a listenable level will be lucky to be heard past the front row, so the same approach is valid. The highly-processed rock stations many people consider "normal sounding" have a dynamic range of about 2 dB. At higher levels these stations will hurt your ears fast... but you can turn them down to almost nothing and hear everything over all your ambient noise because of the non-existent dynamics. Finding the balance that suits you is a matter of personal choice and opinion. Everybody has one, but you get to decide what's best.

Use a mixer with active inputs to mix your channels down to the two you need. Behringer makes some rack-mount and portable models that are inexpensive and work well for this application. Hook your left audio to a left-panned channel, and your right to a right. Use mono inputs for center, surround and subwoofer channels, if you use them, and pan them to the center. IF you eventually get digital sound (like with a Dolby or DTS processor) and want your surrounds mixed in, those will need to be routed left and right, but not with the single-channel surround of analog SR.

Now you have the ability to balance your audio and bring dialog up a couple of dB, if you need to.

Good compressors are everywhere. Symetrix, DBX and Behringer make good single-band models. I have the Broadcast Warehouse DSPXtra systems here, because I prefer the way multiband units sound.

Some FM transmitters have compressor/limiters in them, including those made by Broadcast Warehouse. They're mainly good for keeping modulation levels within limits, but are also used with some success for the dynamics processing you'll need. While the internal compressor doesn't go far enough for me, they're much better than nothing and quite a few drive-in operators are happy with them as they are.

Hope some of that helps.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The A/V supply Company Studio Spares are a good start to buy Mixing Desks etc and are good Prices!.

Studio Spares

George May
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 12:23 PM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all these good ideas, especially the remix down one.

But we've still not managed to explain why the effects I noted were present in an absolutely conventional SR set-up (L/C/R/SB/S), just like a conventional cinema except that it was out of doors.

I haven't had the problem with any other titles. For example, "Grease", which has a similar 'feel', was fine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-26-2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been awhile...but was Dirty Dancing issued in SR? It definately predates SR as a standard for the soundtrack. I do recall there was a re-release that may have had the digitals and SR track. Does your print have digital tracks too? If not, have you tried just Dolby-A?

Steve

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 12:58 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Your Broadcast experience is showing. [Big Grin]
The methods you describe should work very well and the listeners can crank their EQ where they like in each car.

George,

The outdoor sound system you mentioned, can you get a photo of it for us? I think that the speaker system would be pretty elaborate to get theatre SR sound level calibration in that open space. How much head room do you have with the system operating as calibrated?

KEN

George May
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print had "SR" edge markings, so I haven't tried Dolby 'A'. There is no digital track.

This is about the best picture I have at present. The LCR speakers are JBL TR125s. For scale purposes the screen is 6m x 3m.  -

It doesn't show the SB unit (HZ model 600) or the surrounds (HZ Sigma 200s). HZ specifications

I EQ'ed and leveled the sound system in the usual way with the set up as in the picture above, out of doors using pink noise, eg as in the CP55 manual. I don't expect (nor do the audience, I think) to hear something that is quite like an indoor cinema). As for the available headroom, I don't really know; I achieved the 85 db level easily.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-26-2007 05:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give Dolby A a go... I'd expect even though the print is dated 2004 it wouldn't have been remixed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2007 07:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that its probably in type A... Its that age for sure. If it were re-mixed in SR there would certainly be a D-Digital track along with it. I think some of the problems you are hearing is the NR system mistracking big time.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-26-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film did have dialog/music level issues. Use of proper decoding, A chain EQ and then a proper compressor will do wonders. Bell Theatre Service has access to the little Ashly CL52, a stereo simple compressor that I have used for many years ahead of FM transmitters. (Use 2 for 4 channel, coupled together) Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2007 09:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of left field here perhaps, George, but it seems like even undecoded audio wouldn't produce the very dramatic loss of the center channel dialogue as you describe. That sounds more like the whole thing is out of phase. That could occur if you are going into a mixer that had balanced inputs, especially transformer inputs, it would be possible for the signals from the cell to be 180% out of phase (high and low reversed going into the mixer on one channel) and that would effectively cancel out any audio that was equal and in phase in both channels as the center dialogue always is. You might just check that possibility, remote as it might be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: