Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kneisley Dousers

Author Topic: Kneisley Dousers
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-14-2007 01:53 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original design for these things was, to be complimentary, crap. They have a replacement in kit form that requires some drilling and fitting----anybody have experience with the new parts?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
Kneisley dousers are famous for falling apart, especially starting with the Xenex-2! I don't know if they actually did any upgrades or not. You'll have to give em a call and see.

Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They DO have an "upgrade" on their web site. I was trying to find out if it's worth the trouble.

Jonathan L Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2007 11:46 AM      Profile for Jonathan L Thompson   Email Jonathan L Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the dowser kit is a must have. We always before just rigged the dowsers up and never used them trying to keep them out of the way.

We tried the Retro Kit and it installs so easy most of the concession employees could run up and do it. I beleive we Installed the first one available and it hasnt given us any problems at all, and at just under $150 (from any dealer that i have found) its well worth it. No more headaches due to falling dowsers or dowsers that just wont stay put.

I love it, just wish they would have done it this way the first time.

J.T.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-20-2007 09:38 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As poor as the original is, the kit should be free.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-20-2007 10:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan L Thompson
and at just under $150
quote: Bill Enos
As poor as the original is, the kit should be free.

Thats outrageous! Rumor has it the whole company was sold for just over $200.00 [Big Grin] . I agree with Bill... it should be free or VERY INEXPENSIVE to original owners of lamphouses with the old crappy dousers. This has been a stupid problem for a very long time!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-20-2007 10:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again this was what was installed originally and any one who bought it should nhave done there homework as to what the build quaility was like

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-21-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pay $23.71 for the kit but $150? Stupid once but not again. This lamphouse has enough other issues. I can keep the present dowser working for the next several years until film is gone without wasting $300 for two of these kits.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2007 02:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Again this was what was installed originally and any one who bought it should nhave done there homework as to what the build quaility was like

Not really in this case... The problem is a hidden one and hsa been part of the Xenex-2 Lamphouse and Console from day one... the shaft snaps in half eventually.... Thats pretty hard to predict even if a customer dismantled the thing before he bought it and let a mechanical engineer look it over....
Kneisley really should make good on these.

Mark

Jonathan L Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan L Thompson   Email Jonathan L Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
23.71 thats kinda of a strange amount. Where did u get that?

It was a little on the high end but u get a new dowser and everything, and like i said we havent had any trouble with it. If you think your gonna be going to Digital in the near future (laugh laugh) then i would definatley not spend the money on it either. It was a good addition for us.

That would have been nice if they were going to just hand them out but i think the new owners are working more on fixing the problems with the equipment for future sells more than handing out money for mistakes They didnt make.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problems I have had with Kneisley dowsers is them burning through or not staying open due to the tensioning spring

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-22-2007 12:25 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shaft breaks, the spring doesn't work, the screws holding the dowser to the arm assy. gradually elongate the holes because they are too small to tighten enough to hold, screws holding the upper and lower stops bend because they're too small. the sheet metal the screws go thru is too thin and bends too. The combination of both bends allows the dowser, when down, to partially clear the light path.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-22-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that by the time they fix all that is wrong with the lamphouse/console it will cost as much as getting one from Christie....

Mark

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan L Thompson
No more headaches due to falling dowsers or dowsers that just wont stay put.

Same problem here. I've got a Xenex 1 in one of my booths that was forever just falling shut during the movie. I've tightend the set screws, readjusted everything I could think of.. and finally settled for a $2.00 bungee strap, one hook around the handle, the other hook around the pedastal base horizontal adjustment knob. Not pretty... but effective.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-22-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I solved the falling problem by removing the handle rod and replacing it with a 13" piece 1/4-20 threaded rod locked with a nut so it can't rotate. Near the end of the rod there is a weight consisting of a stack of washers--3 oz. again held by a nut on each side of the stack. The rod is bent toward the center of the lamphouse enough to cause an over center action with the weight--this will keep the dowser down--not a problem before the addition of the weight which will keep it up when the lever is tilted out. Tinker with the position of the weight and length of the rod to achieve the effect you like.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: