Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help troubleshooting a Simplex 2000 Aperture Changer

Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting a Simplex 2000 Aperture Changer
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 10 machines and each has a Simplex 2000 aperture/lens changing system dating from the eary 90's. I disconnected the lens rotation motors because they were all very flaky but have retained the aperture changers. 8 of them are working fine but the other two refuse to switch to scope.

These units have a Bodine motor mounted behind the trap assembly and the motor is connected via 3-wire connection. (The manual is in the manuals section under TU2000E). When the automation is set to flat, the motor switches fine and puts a contant pressure on the plate, so if you manually push it in, it pops back out. When you switch to scope, it's supposed to do the opposite, but instead, on these two machines, the motor goes limp instead and the plate can be moved freely by hand.

I have ruled out the wiring of the motor to the molex plug by removing the entire trap assembly and putting it in another working projector and connecting the plug. In this scenario, it behaves normally.

There is a control board for this unit in the projector console and there is a schematic in the manual, but it is a bit beyond my experience. I'm basically looking for a relay that may be blown or stuck, maybe a fuse somewhere. I'm fairly certain the actualy wiring is correct.

Does anyone have experience with these units who might suggest a troubleshooting method? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2007 09:54 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
replace the shutter cage wiring for aperture and framing lamp and replace the controller. Probably just an open rectifier from a short in the by now brittle and flakey wiring. then replace the wiring in the rest of them cause they are all bad. I promise.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2007 07:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I 'd say that Matt is correct on this. The wire Strong used SHOULD have been teflon covered to withstand the heat and exposure to UV and IR light. Teflon wire is not that expensive in that gauge. The wire situation with their lamphouses is even worse and IMHO very dangerous [Eek!] !

Mark

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt and Mark,

Thanks, I had suspected something like this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: