Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Problem with Die Hard 4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DTS Problem with Die Hard 4
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Equipment is DTS XD10 and Panastereo CSP1200.
For about the first three minutes of DH4 everything runs fine.....DTS sounding FAT.
A splice goes through.....haven't had time as yet to have a look at the splice to see why it is there......XD10 loses Digital so only displays time code(no film or reel info)....CSP1200 switches to SR......this is the way it stays for the rest of the show.
The TCR light stays solid ON all the time.
I haven't tried rebooting the XD10 after the splice as yet to see if the DTS kicks back in......I'm always hesitant to reboot an XD10 while it's reading timecode.......I suppose I could have stuck a card in front of the TCR red led and then rebooted...I didn't think of that at work!
I deleted the file and reinstalled it in between sessions and that changed nothing.
Could there be a big chunk of film missing here that could be causing it?
Cheers Ian

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 05:29 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this related to a new title sequence for the change from "Live Free or Die Hard" to "Die Hard 4.0" ? Maybe the timecodes are OK for the new title but then revert to original timecodes for the rest.

I haven't seen this sort of thing since "Strange Days", where different reels had different timecodes.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2007 08:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no reason why you can't re-boot an XD-10 while it is playing. It should chase the time code and resume playing when its booted up again.

Mark

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 08:35 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know Mark....I was told that you could corrupt the software if you turn it off while it is reading.
Still don't understand why the XD-10 continues to read timecode OK but won't resume digital....and also why I lose DTS at the splice.
So Peter what your saying is that I have got 3 mins of one film connected to 2hrs whatever of another film?
I'll try rebooting the XD-10 after the splice goes through and see what happens.
Cheers Ian

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-10-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I cannot help you with your immediate problem; logically you should be able to power down any device in the booth without corrupting it. What if the power went out?? This is a test I do on any new equipment that runs on software. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Bailey
So Peter what your saying is that I have got 3 mins of one film connected to 2hrs whatever of another film?
I'm not Peter but I can answer this: In the US, the film was titled "Live Free or Die Hard," but in other countries it's called "Die Hard 4.0."

The time you don't want to power-down an XD10 is when it is busy booting up. Wait until it's finished.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2007 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
e time you don't want to power-down an XD10 is when it is busy booting up. Wait until it's finished.

That problem was recently addressed with the new firmware upgrade. Its now ok to power down while its booting up or if you have many power bumps it won't hurt the player. The computer will automatically do a checkdisk (what ever thats called in Linux) and fix any drive errors automatically during the next boot up.

One important thing... Don't power the unit down from a breaker panel and re-power it this way. This is known as a cold start. Keep the units plugged into an always live outlet and use the front panel power switch to turn it on and off. This is actually a soft start feature of the motherboard and is much easier on the system overall.

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-10-2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

Watch the serial number (not the film title) on the XD10 display. Does it change when the splice goes through?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 08:10 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The timing is suspect not the splice. Remember if the XD10 is not updated to the latest software verson 2.00.xx the XD10 will drop out and stop playing aproximatley two minutes into the reel. Rebooting during the show won't hurt, but it won't help, if the software is not correct and up to date. First step, check the software version.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-10-2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will it play the first two minutes of each reel, or only the first reel?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the software has not been updated the system will only play the first two minutes of any reel. It should be noted that this does not apply to trailer discs or feature attached trailers. Trailers will play on systems that have not been updated, usually this is the clue (or confusion) why the feature does not play and points directly to software needing to be updated.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2007 05:21 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the OP. This is happening on our print with the XD10. Also using the Panastereo CSP1200, the problem is it isn't reverting to SR when the DTS drops out.

We're not using the DTS at the moment, for Die Hard.

BTW, whats the latest version of firmware for the XD10?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2007 01:55 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the software, must have V2.00.43

If you do not have the correct software check this site I believe Brad has it available for download or you can contact DTS direct for a copy, DTS does not charge for update discs. If you have problems getting a copy let me know.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-11-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's here.

This is a zip file containing ISO disc images. You will need one blank CD, one blank DVD, one USB memory drive, a DVD burner, DVD burning software, WinZip to unzip the file, as well as one heck of a solid and fast internet connection. THIS IS A 3.5 GIG DOWNLOAD. See the text file and the pdf file inside the zip archive for specific instructions.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2007 10:11 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[slightly off topic]
For safety's sake, it might be a good idea to post an MD5SUM of the file just in case something got corrupted during downloading.

I'd hate to be the guy who downloaded and burned 3.5 GB worth of stuff to find out the disk they made was worthless.

If you're using windows I believe there's a program called "md5summer" which'll calculate the md5 hash value for you. If you're in any unix variant you should probably already have "md5sum" from the command line.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: