Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard to Fix Base Scratches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Guard to Fix Base Scratches
Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 04:57 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here is the situation. One of our prints has picked up some pretty noticeable base scratches during a show. We recently just took delivery of our first order of Film Guard and have been applying it using a cloth to the top and bottom of the prints when sitting in the platter (Our theater does not have any media cleaners) and have had good results so far.

I read that FG can work wonders at covering up base scratches, so I was wondering if it would still work well if I sprayed some FG onto a lint-free cloth and held it firmly on the film as it makes its way back to the platter from the projector (I figured this is the best spot due to the increased tension).

So would this work and if so, how many applications of the product would I need?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2007 05:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You just need to get a Kelmar film cleaner. No way can you sit there for 2 hours and hand-clean a film as it runs and have any chance at doing a good enough job to make those base scratches disappear. Also the increased tension won't help.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
You just need to get a Kelmar film cleaner.
If only I wasn't laughed at every time I suggest this... oh well maybe this will make them see the use of one.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And wouldn't holding it tightly be more likely to create some scratches, thereby defeating the entire purpose of using film guard to begin with? Because the regular film cleaners are rubbed against the film pretty lightly to avoid causing any problems like that and even then I've heard of people on here claim the kelmar cleansers do occasionally scratch prints (thankfully I've yet to experience this myself).

quote: Josh Rosen
If only I wasn't laughed at every time I suggest this... oh well maybe this will make them see the use of one.
Maybe you should work somewhere where people give a shit about their presentation then.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by tightly I simply meant pressing the cloth against the film, I didn't mean to use excessive tension that could cause scratches. But yes, I see your point there as well, thanks for the tips [Smile]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 05:13 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really think it's ridiculous that they would want to not clean their prints. That's just stupid.

Sure, the cleaners are expensive but it's one of those "one-time costs" for something you can use for years.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fact that we have 14 sets of PTR equipment lying in a cabinet in the booth might not be helping things...

I would even be happy if we just had one of the Kelmar cleaners for situations like this one.

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 05:33 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Rosen
My company refuses to fork the bill for cleaners either. Ever since I came to this company I've urged them to get at least one. I would get one of two responses: 1. What is that? or 2. We don't need them.
It is one of the most agrivating situations I've had working in movies. All of our projectors shed like crazy and, well, everything else that can go wrong with a non-cleaned print.
3 Miles down the road is a theatre using brand new christies and has gone digital as well. I don't see how my company can think they can compete using a dirty print.

I managed to get my hands on an old FC-1 and am waiting on a mounting bracket (my manager is going under the table on this with me). I'll be footing the money for film guard myself.

So..yeah believe it or not there really are companies who just don't give a you know what.

ok..done ranting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wyatt, run it exclusively on one print you know will be around for a good long while starting with the first show, then at the end of it's run bring the district manager in there and point out the difference it makes against prints that don't even have half the number of passes (or the newest print for that matter). If the answer is still no, then there is simply no hope for whatever company you work for, as they obviously don't give a shit about their presentation.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably it doesn't make sense economically, but perhaps there should be a bunch of loaner Kelmar cleaners kicking around the F-T community for situations like this.

--jhawk

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
...then at the end of it's run bring the district manager in there and point out the difference it makes against prints that don't even have half the number of passes
Thats what I'm hoping to do. I really do doubt it will make a dent in their stubborn heads, but at least I tried.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 07:43 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wished we had Film Guard at our theatre. My Tech doesn't even see the need for one, which I think is ridiculous.

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 07:47 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad M Calpito
I just wished we had Film Guard at our theatre. My Tech doesn't even see the need for one, which I think is ridiculous
You work for the Franks too don't you! Haha. Joking.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what'll be sad if these other form of circuits were being sold on to purchase PTR roller cleaners, which are tons cheaper than a Kelmar and find out that they wasted their money seeing that these things actually "transfer" dust from one end of the print to the other end.

Also, I could take a wild guess on this issue of why some circuits doesn't want to bother with these Kelmars is that it's more of a convenience item than a needed item and these companies bottom line is the dollar sign and all they see is numbers with a dollar sign next to them.

And, with these forms of operations, their theatres are run by "booth clowns" who'd prob wouldn't even shake a stick on having any form of a good presentation, let alone using any form of a film cleaning device, thus these devices are not a form of high priority to purchase.

Plus, if they don't keep prints as long as the large mainstream circuits, it could be their logic to not see the necessity of film cleaning...

...but these are just wild guesses.

-Monte

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 11:37 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my company just doesn't know what they are doing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: