Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I. C. E. ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I. C. E. ?
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning a mini cinema and got an excellent bid from I. C. E. of Miami on some older, refurbished equipment I had asked for. Has anyone ever dealt with I. C. E. and, if so, what is your opinion? The bid was half of what a Northwest supplier wants. Of course it did not include transportation or installation. Thanks for your input.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-01-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
International Cinema Equipment Company ( I.C.E.C.O. ) is part of Magna Tech, located in Miami and Atlanta....they have been plugging around for 30 + years. I was in their shop last week and they where rebuilding 8 Cinemeccanicas and several Century units. They have enough hardware / stock to supply several hundred cinemas.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the difference in quotes could very well be in the shipping, because some companies use shipping as a profit center. When we bought seats in 2002, we ordered directly from the manufacturer and found out later they had marked up the shipping 100% (charged us double).

So shipping charges could be a negotiable item. Maybe offer to arrange your own shipping.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-01-2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought several small and large things from ICECO over the years. They were always fairly priced....most times. [Wink]

Speaking of shipping charges...they SUCK at that! Waaaaay overpriced and too expensive!

Steve Krams and his staff have always treated me with courtesy even though (as some of you know) I can be an asshole and a PITA. (It's my calling in life) [Smile]

As Mike mentioned, check into the TOTAL price of all bids including shipping and crating costs.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 04:39 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought eBay items from ICE a few times, and their descriptions were always accurate, shipping was fast and everything well protected. But that was only camera stuff, not heavy hardware like a Cinemeccanica... [Wink]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had lots of good dealing with Steve over the years and always found them excellent in arranging shipping to suite my needs

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-02-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same experience here. ICECO and Steve Krams and his crew have outfitted two complete change-over houses for us. One with Century SAWs the other with JJs. Plus, for finding those odd parts for old equipment as ancient as Pearless Magnarc lamphouses, Dara will get back to you in short order and they almost always can find what you need. Their pricing has always been very fair and their refurbished equipment performs practically like its new.

I disagree a bit about the shipping --they ship via truck and they can pack even the largest, heaviest equipment well encased and in extra heavy-duty wooden crates so that all survives the trip unscathed -- bottom line, that expertise alone makes their shipping prices quite fair, IMHO.

But beyond that, if you wind up with a problem, their techs will get on the fone with you for as long as it takes. And if it is serious issue that you can't resolve (one of the SAWs shutters was dragging and oscillating), they repaired it without any hassles whatsoever -- this after we had the head for a year.

I give them two thumbs up. If it weren't for them, two non-different profit outfits, a museum in Massachusetts and our theatre in the park in Brooklyn would never have been able to afford installing film projection.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-02-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOOF! If you're spending alot of money ONLY go in person and leave there with the gear you are purchasing. I have installed his supposedly rebuilt on one occasion and and have seen it on other occasions. Both at the University Of Illinois in which myself and a friend did the install and at The Unversity of Wisconsin at Madison. Absolutely awful quality... hammertone paint must be plentiful in Florida [Big Grin] ! I have also been to both their old site and the site that was near the Police Museum and bought in person with out any problems but keep in mind that the gear I bought was as-is and left with me... I did the rebuilds. The last thing I bought there was a Century C mainframe only that I used to build my VV projector on.

At CLACO we bought his entire stock of DP-70 but we never received all the stuff that we were promised.

Mark @ CLACO

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 06:03 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experiences (and those of my customers) mirrors what Mark said. Louis

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the firm in question was formerly located in NYC, on West 53rd Street, as F & B CECO. Before that it was Folmer & Babs or something. The old-timers behind the counter were helpful for even the smallest requests, and would produce such items as a Filmo handgrip and strap, winding key or filters from miscellaneous counter drawers, or have a boy fetch items from the storerooms above. When they closed their New Jersey warehouse, they sold off huge amounts of old and obsolescent equipment there at really low prices, "Make me an offer" and bargaining expected--they had to clear the entire premises.
I remember wooden barrels filled with B&H 16mm and 35mm viewfinder doors; cameras, lighting and grip equipment, etc. I bought a complete Eymo package, titling and gaffer equipment that I used in my teaching afterwards.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 03:26 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard,
You're thinking of Florman & Babb. I remember them from the sixties but I don't think there's a connection to ICE.
I've bought several items form ICE over the years and I have no complaints. Never a problem with returns or exchanges. Both Steve and Dara have been great.
Bob

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 03:58 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
National Cine Equipment ( N.C.E )formerly of New York and later of Miami was absorbed from the estate of Irwin Harwood by ICECO. They where friendly competition to F&B Ceco / SOS. ICECO bought Magnatech of New York and moved that to Florida. Magnatech is now the parent corporation to ICECO.....reads like a Harry Potter book [Big Grin]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 09:38 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys:

Your input has been very important and helpful. I guess ICECO doesn't handle seats so I'm waiting on a proposal from Tankersly in Denver. Any opinions?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 09:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Where to start? Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 12:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Bob Tankersley. Very nice guy. He is still involved somewhat with the company but his son Steve is in charge now. I have heard that their used seats are (how to be kind?) not always the greatest.

We dealt with them on new seats in 1982 and were very satisfied. (Seating Concepts seats...they lasted for 20 years.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: