Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Klipsch KP-450 Speakers?

Author Topic: Klipsch KP-450 Speakers?
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to know if anyone had any information about these speakers? I was curious about their power handling and sensitivity specs. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2007 05:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares. Check out QSC or JBL. Klipsch has never made a decent sounding speaker.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am aware that these are not the mpst desired speakers. However, I am forced to use them at the moment. I just wanted some information about the speakers so that I know what power amps are required to properly set up the system. Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2007 06:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Klipsch has never made a decent sounding speaker
I disagree! The large MWM based system is actually quite spectaculuar when set up with the R-2. The nasal sounding dialog also disappears. There are situations and rooms where horn loaded speakers like these actually work better than direct radiators do.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-28-2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a really BIG amp. You will need it to do the EQ. (Thanks to Tom Holman and Clyde McKinney) Louis

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you implying that these speakers are not very effecient?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2007 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's implying that they have a pretty ragged response! You will need lots of power to get them close to the ISO. The Large horn loaded systems are not this way and generally require very little equalizartion.... but they are huge systems too!

Mark

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 10:14 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is the difference between horn loaded and direct radiator speakers?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 12:12 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Wienholt
What exactly is the difference between horn loaded and direct radiator speakers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 04:31 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The KP450 was the two way cinema speaker to mimic other brands such as JBL 4670 speaker. Klipsch in the late 1980's to early 1990's was two separate companies, the original Klipsch and Klipsch Commercial; the KP450 was made by Commercial. The 450 used two types of drivers on the high frequency horn during their production run; an earlier screw on type and later bolt type. When the commercial company went into liquidation that design was not picked up by the original company and parts for the later bolt on driver was lost.
The unit should be driven with at least a 500 watt amplifier. the crossover is actually two units, a low pass in the bass cabinett and a high pass unit in the horn box. My memory thinks that the crossover point aroud 630 or 800HZ. They served their purpose and gave us no problems regarding EQ or service life.
I first used the MCM type speakers in the middle 1970's and our former company did the specifications on the KPT250 surround speaker.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 04:50 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
Thanks for the information. Are these 8 or 4-ohm speakers?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: