Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital Decoding on JSD-80D

Author Topic: Dolby Digital Decoding on JSD-80D
Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 01:20 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can the JSD-80D decode Dolby digital from standard DVD players which have a single Digital co-ax out on a single phono RCA connector? I understand the JSD-80D has two SPDIF RCA connectors for decoding digital content. Is the digital out on DVD players the same as SPDIF? Can someone guide me with the connections? I've written to Clint Koch as well at USL and am awaiting a reply.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2007 02:04 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the JSD 80D, but I can answer the first part of your question.

The digital Co-ax output on DVD players is SP/DIF, so if the JSD 80D does have SP/DIF inputs then you would be able to play DVDs through it. Whether the JSD 80D can decode Dolby Digital from such a source, I don't know. If it can then you will get the full 5.1 channel sound from the DVD (assuming that the disc you're playing has a 5.1 channel track of course)

If the JSD 80D can't decode Dolby Digital from a SP/DIF source then you would have to configure the DVD player to decode Dolby Digital to PCM, and feed this into the JSD 80D. However, PCM output from DVD players is only two channels, which can be matrix decoded to give L,C,R and S, as with analogue Dolby Stereo tracks on 35mm film. As an alternative, some DVD players can decode Dolby Digital to six analogue output channels; if the JSD 80D has six channel analogue inputs, then you could do it this way.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-28-2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! The JSD-80D (with the option module) can indeed decode consumer AC-3 from DVDs. So hook up your DVD player via a single coax and whola.

Note, USL also makes a standalone single rack space decoder for cinemas too to adapt other processors for playing back Alternative content, like DVDs.

Enjoy,

Steve

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve for answering the question.
Alexander, when did you write to me? I have not gotten any e-mails from you. Please try again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: