Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to break down without working MUT on You Tube (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to break down without working MUT on You Tube
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just came across this recently on You Tube. It's on breaking down from a platter without a working MUT using the rewind bench,but they should either put more antistatic cloths on the floor or use rollers mounted on stands. You Tube

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-27-2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that a bunch of us have have busted down film outside of using a MUT in one form or another.

Been there and done that a bunch of times...

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-27-2007 10:02 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nnear-total lack of tension on the reel. [thumbsdown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-27-2007 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geez, I wouldn't want to get that guy's print. The tension he has going there is a recipe for cinch scratching.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2007 10:53 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, wouldn't want to get that print as well. Sheez, talk about no tension on the reel. Man, talk about stupid. I say, fix the damn MUT.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 02:32 AM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should have been pulling from the tail out with the platter brakes on lightly...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-28-2007 07:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A much better (though more time consuming) method would have been to run the film through the projector and take it up onto 6000' reels, stopping for splices and re-attaching leaders at the appropriate points.

Unfortunately, most platter houses don't have takeup belts installed and many don't even have proper reel arms.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-28-2007 09:21 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another proof that the expression; "Having half a brain is dangerous..." is true. Sad thing is, this guy probably thought he was doing a good job. He will show his fellow workers, who will show others. At the end, it makes digital the best thing that ever happened to theaters.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
At the end, it makes digital the best thing that ever happened to theaters.
How true... he and a thousand other reasons will make that happen.

Mark

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
"A much better (though more time consuming) method would have been to run the film through the projector and take it up onto 6000' reels, stopping for splices and re-attaching leaders at the appropriate points."

I set movies up like this. I put the reel on projector, then run the reel on to the platter, then after the reel ends I thread up for reel two and so on, this way I can preview, inspect, and setup at the same time. also I have broken down this way as well just as you described. I did all of this before I built the FrankenMUT

Mike

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2007 04:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, that is also very poor practice due to the forced film handling in a bad environment (aka: not at the rewind table). I hope your frankenmut has put a stop to that.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 09:32 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't watch more than a few seconds of the video in question because of its sickenly unsteady camerawork. But check out the "Related Videos" in the youtube box to the right of it. The "Projection Promo" for one, is a well-made nostalgic bio of a family, or father-and-son, era of showmanship and a projectionist who started there confronting the digital challenge.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 09:38 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My short attention span led me to this too Gerard. It looks very well edited, I'd like to see the finished version, whatever, or whenever that may be. I've seen a few documentary's that just sort of fell off the face of the earth and their domains lapsed. I hope at least one comes to fruition.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bran

The FrankenMUT does reduce tension on the film, however why is it that I hear so many people say that platters and MUTs are bad for film, (too much tension) and how change overs is soo much better and the film is not handled as much. When I was doing change overs I was handing the films <100% more then I do now. And my Goldy rewinder put plenty of tension on the film.

FrankenMUT is designed to have no tension applied to the film during setup and the reel is free spinning. I have built an electronic breaking system so I can slow down the system with no damage to the film.

Mike

Mike

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2007 02:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Free spinning on loading the platter is bad. You need a bit of tension there because as you stop the platter to splice on another reel, as the platter is started again you will have film slippage on itself, meaning cinch scratches.

The biggest thing to remember is that just because you don't see the damage on screen doesn't mean it isn't happening! Most people don't have enough light on their screen or good enough optics to show light film damage, but damage is damage.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: