Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS-6D automation +5V current limit

Author Topic: DTS-6D automation +5V current limit
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-24-2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know how much current I can run between pins 9 (+5V P/S) and 10 (GND when in DTS) of the DTS-6D automation connector?

Looking at the D725 drawing, I'm guessing that I can steal at least 1 watt.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-25-2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would call Karen on this one. I know on the DTS 6 you need to be careful because of the fuse in the +5 volt line to the TCR. I would think at least a few watts would be available though. The TCR doesn't draw very much.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 07-26-2007 01:56 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. The 6Ds I bought haven't showed up yet (hopefully they do soon, my season ends in 5 weeks), so I'll give her a shout if inspecting one once they do show up doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about doing it.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-23-2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up to this... I ended up only putting a single relay @ 167 ohms across this. It turned out better this way as I could then wire a bunch of other stuff in series (across a 30 VDC supply) so that the circuit fails gracefully rather than the mess is would create upon a component failure if I had wired everything in parallel to the DTS player.

As an aside, is anyone wiring the power supply line to their timecode readers across a motor-on relay? Having them both on all the time in my changeover booth annoys me and having them turn off seems like the obvious thing to do (even in a platter booth).

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
As an aside, is anyone wiring the power supply line to their timecode readers across a motor-on relay?
I've thought about doing it; just haven't gotten to it yet...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-24-2007 06:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you using that setup for? The only application I can think of now that used that for purposes other than the intended was when the SDDS DFP-D3000 was correctly set up to monitor this output to recieve constant rather than pulsed status information about the DTS-6D.

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've build a 6ch-Switch to use our Preshow-PC using GND-when-in-digital and +5V on the DTS-6D

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-24-2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using it to get my mixdown mixer (that's right before the compressor and FM transmitter/etc) to toggle between the analog and digital systems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry too much about the LED. If they go bad just get some from Gord. If he won't share his then let me know. We both have some VERY long life LED's in stock. The other thing to watch out for is the drum wearing to wide... If this happens the TC track weaves in and out of the scanning area. Measure the drum with a caliper before bothering to replace the LED.

The replacement TCR's have extremely long life LED's in them and never require adjustment.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-24-2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
I'm using it to get my mixdown mixer (that's right before the compressor and FM transmitter/etc) to toggle between the analog and digital systems.
Isn't all that running into a cinema processor before the mixer/transmitter stage anyway?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-25-2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I don't have a 6 channel CP so I need to mix it down first anyway. Since there's no point in EQ'ing the DTS mix (I guess I could optimize it for *my* car) I figure there's no point in inserting any more analog devices in the chain than necessary.

My next wish is that the DTS-6D would provide a 1/4 second or more warning that it's going to drop out of digital so that I could switch the analog LEDs on and off seamlessly. I'd imagine that it *may* be possible to implement this in software.

Alternatively, does anyone know how long after the DTS-6D pulses out of digital (or disconnects the pin 10 GND) that the digital audio actually stops? I'd be quite surprised if both events happened simultaneously.

Mark -- yeah, I've got a few of those LEDs left somewhere around here. I'm sure the nagging thoughts of seeing them both on will pass. I'm actually a lot more interested in having the analog LEDs turn off when in digital. Perhaps if I can't find a way to have them switch on before digital drops out, I'll have them run at half current while in digital.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: