Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Norelco/Philips FP-20 operation problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Norelco/Philips FP-20 operation problem
Peter Conheim
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2007 10:40 AM      Profile for Peter Conheim   Email Peter Conheim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, all:

I'm trying to figure out how to correctly operate a modified Norelco/Philips FP-20 machine. This unit was reconfigured by Magna-Tech into their so-called "Rock and Roll" model, which allows instantaneous braking (as opposed to normal roll-stops) and reverse function. It was previously used in a studio to watch footage with mag interlock.

I just obtained this machine and it works beautifully in standard forward motion. Quiet and steady. But it has a VERY perplexing electric douser; it seems to have a mind of its own, in that when you power up the machine (NOT rolling it, just powering it up), the douser pops open. To close the douser, it seems you have to manually roll the inching knob BACKWARDS for a second. Then it drops down.

Magna-Tech has added a control panel, pictured here. I swore when I first turned on the machine the button labeled "LAMP FWD AND REVERSE" opened the douser after a timed interval. But now that button does nothing at all.

Furthermore, when you put the thing into reverse, the upper loop is immediately lost and it tears the shit out of the film.

The right photo shows the main controls, which are located on the back of the machine (i.e. in front of the lamphouse). To make things stranger, the machine only runs in the "INT" mode, whereas I would think that meant "interlocked" and thus the machine should run in the "LOCAL" mode. It doesn't. And there's a little recessed green button above the controls, too, which doesn't seem to do anything in the current configuration.

Anyone have any clues? Obviously a manual from Magna-Tech would be best of all. The reverse thing is irrelevant, but the douser action is a head-scratcher.

PC
 -

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2007 10:58 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every one of these I've heard described or seen is a little different so that makes this a little more difficult. [Smile]

That said, the two we have use a time delay relay connected to the motor power through a resistor voltage divider (it's a 120V relay and the motor is 120/208V 3ph) and the lamp fwd/rev switch to open the dowser. If you're using a VFD for the motor it might confound the dowser. When I converted ours to VFD I used the Run output on the VFD to trigger the time delay relay for the dowser. We've also had some problems with those switches, so that might be part of your problem.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-23-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of these have a drag clutch that operates a lever mechanism which lifts the skate via small pins in the trap to allow reverse operation, you can't run reverse with the skate closed. Some use a solenoid for this, some have a claw thingy that grabs the top of the skate from in front.
Whatever mechanism yours uses, this skate lifter is essential to reverse operation. The picture is never steady in reverse of course, although you can see what the image is.
Most will only run sound properly in forward. The true reverse FP20 has an extra sprocket beside the soundhead, I've heard that MTE used some of these but every one I've run across is a (heavily) modified normal (ie non-reversing) FP20.
Usually "Interlock" engaged a selsyn system, the motors are usually double with a 3 phase motor and a selsyn in one case.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're just using this to run film at nome I would reccomend removing all the Magna-TEch crap and turning it back into a standard FP-20. Its one of the best machines ever made... just messed up by Magna-TEch for other uses.... which btw were pretty clumsy to operate!

Mark

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-23-2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pair of Magna-Tech PR-135's (Ser#193 & 194) that I have running work fine forward and backwards. On my machines the "Lamp Forward and Reverse button". Is called "Picture Forward/Picture Reverse". When that button is pushed you will get picture in the forward mode and picture in the reverse mode. But if you push it again it will only show picture in the forward mode. But in the reverse mode the dowser stays closed.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-24-2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a brief time when I worked for UA I got to experience FP-20s. Since I was somewhat new to projection in general, they were the strangest things I ever saw (compared to a Simplex).

Poor things had been horribly neglected and the Asst. Manager was doing her best to bring them back to life. I wish I had more time to experience their quirks. I think the only theatre I could go to in the SF Bay Area would be the Shattuck Cinemas in Berkeley, I think they run a few.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UA installed a pair of them in the [bs] twin next to the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood when it opened.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 01:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Removing all the MTE stuff is a fine plan, except...
Unless you have or can make supply and takeup shaft assemblies you're stuck with the torque motor and brake system. These require a bit of electrical know-how to get working properly. The brake power supply board is the square green board with a diode, large resistor, and a few capacitors that's attached to the control chassis; as I recall they are 90VDC brakes. You don't want to use a brake for feed reel drag, it won't last long. You power the feed torque motor in reverse. MTE puts in a switch for small/large reels, if you run 2K reels just use 120VAC on the torque motors and forget about a reduced torque setting. You pretty much need a failsafe wired to switch from torque to brake when film runs out or the reels spin up to a scary speed, and it shreds the tail of your film reel.

Peter Conheim
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Peter Conheim   Email Peter Conheim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks heaps for the replies thus far. I've managed to divine all the operational controls on this thing with the exception of the dowser issue. I suspect the "FWD REV LAMP ON" switch has failed; still wondering why the dowser only closes when you turn the inching knob backwards manually. That's the puzzler.

No, I won't be hacking into this machine to remove the Magna-Tech mods. For one thing, the fast wind function will be quite useful once I install a roller or two on the front of the column.

PC

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Conheim
the fast wind function will be quite useful once I install a roller or two on the front of the column.
I have two roller installed for that function on each machine. That function works great. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just never cared for the way they handled film in rock and roll mode... The later MAgna Tech electronic machines were alot better in that respect.

Mark

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2007 11:05 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Neff wrote:

"I think the only theatre I could go to in the SF Bay Area would be the Shattuck Cinemas in Berkeley, I think they run a few."

Hi Scott:

Doesn't the Elmwood have the Norelco's from the former UA Millbrae Theatre, Millbrae, CA? They were moved over to the Elmwood when Howard Taromino (spelling?) was running it.

A technician (circa 1996) told me that the UA Berkleey had a few.

I myself used one at the Fine Arts Theatre in Berkeley during a 7-10 month stretch when it ran Bollywood films. It had been removed from the Villiage Theatre(Enea Family) in Monterey, CA. when it closed in 1995.

Mike

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 01:07 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the shattuck does have norelcos on screens 1-8. don't know which model but i'll try to remember to check next time we have a print move over.

i'll see about checking out the elmwood as well.

mike, you worked the fine arts before keith, emily, and josephine took over?

update: indeed, the shattuck has fp-20's.

[ 08-03-2007, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Carl Martin ]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 07-25-2007 04:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My old GM ran the Millbrae, and it makes sense that Howard would have moved them over to the Elmwood. I remember at the UA Empire, one of our Norelco manuals was a copy of the manual from the Millbrae.

I'd love to have seen pictures of Millbrae. I drove past it once before it was demolished during the infancy of my theatre fascination. It looked like an awesome place (before the chop-job).

Peter Conheim
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 05:03 PM      Profile for Peter Conheim   Email Peter Conheim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, thanks for all the input - I must say, this forum is rather amazing. Lots of knowledgeable folks...

Here remains the one real bugaboo left: there seems to be no difference between the "WIND" position on the front panel switch and the center (unlabeled) position, except that the top hub doesn't spin in center position. And no matter how I set the machine, the take up torque motor spins the reel incredibly fast in forward mode; the tension is extreme while you are running film as normal. In fact, if there is any slack ahead of the take up reel when you click into "take up", this sucker will snap acetate film faster than you can say, "argh".

Do any of you know if this machine, as modified, ever spun the take up spindle with normal torque, or only with the super-fast mode I seem to be stuck in?

PC

[ 07-25-2007, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Peter Conheim ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: