Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flywheel problems on my Century Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Flywheel problems on my Century Projector
Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a doozy for you:

I recently swapped my flywheels on my two century projectors (as part of a project involving replacing and then re-replacing my intermittent). The new flywheel didn't quite fit as well, making a little more noise while the projector was running. I'm in mid-run, so I decide to swap it out first thing in the morning.

Heh. My bad. First, the screw unscrews itself and the flywheel falls off during the run. No problem. I stop the projector, replace the screw, tighten it down extra tight, and then start the movie. Voila. It even sounds quieter.

At the end of the movie, my projectionist is threading the movie and I decide, just for grins, to check the screw again. Sure enough, it's come out. I retrieve it and notice that it's somehow shorter...

The movement of the intermittent sheared the screw in two. Yep. In two. My brother-in-law is in the booth, right now, trying in vain to drill out the still-in-the-shaft piece so that I can hurry to the hardware store and pray to Jesus that they have a replacement screw in the narrow threads, same diameter, and length, so I can un-swap my flywheels and get both projectors up and running by 3 PM.

Otherwise, I'm in a world of hurt.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 01:41 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a loose flywheel which spit out every screw I put in. It sheared two of them, but luckily I was able to get the remainder out with a sharp tool and lots of patience. I didn't have any good luck until I installed a new properly fitting flywheel. It does make you wonder though how it is able to shear these screws ???

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 03:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOW, I'm kinda wondering how an assembly flywheel can have so much rotational force to shear off the holding screws like that when it's not that big and heavy ..

Only thing I can think of is that the rear cover plate got put back on backwards and was dragging on the flywheel...let alone a snap start from the motor..

And you'd think that the vertical driving gear that drives the assembly would be shredded out in the meantime ..

.. just interesting questions like this..

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 05:24 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The later/latest flywheel screws have a terrible habit of doing this, we often have to drill out the screw hole and tap it for a larger size, I don't remember what off the top of my head.

I suspect this is down to good old Strong manufacturing tolerances being a little wide of the mark. Never happens on older Centuries or Westrex machines. The fit between the flywheel and the shaft isn't great, so you tighten the screw up sufficiently to take out the movement, and it breaks. Personally I've never had one break but I've had them get to the stage of felling spongey through the allen key, and the flywheel is STILL slipping on the shaft fracionally.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-21-2007 08:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try getting your flywheel from LaVezzi or Wolk instead....

Mark

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current plan is to hammer out the remaining bit of screw (carefully and gingerly) and then tap in the next size up of screw and hope that it'll hold through the rest of the weekend. Otherwise, my schedule will look really wonky.

Thanks, Mark, for the alternate flywheel suggestion. I'll look into that.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The secret is to realize that the flywheel wants to rotate continuously while its shaft is rotating intermittently. The screw must be really really tight to CLAMP DOWN the flwheel onto the shaft.

Soft screws are inappropriate. Use a 10-32 x 3/4" allen hex screw: Hollocrome or equivalent.

The screw is not the device by which the mounting is made; it is the force for the clamping.

Some people put the screw in backward; this is noisy and leads to broken screws. Louis

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

We tapped out the flywheel (10X32, thanks for the tip, Louis), fit the new screw in, and I tightened the bejeezus out of it. Also, re-switched the flywheels. I noticed that my OTHER screw on the other projector had the exact same wear as the screw that sheared off, so we tapped out THAT flywheel, too, and put a new screw in. Started it up; the projector is purring now, without that loud, plinky metallic sound.

I'm gonna watch and tighten screws today as needed, but I think the problem is fixed.

I love this website. I've told you that before, haven't I? I'm starting to feel like a projectionist.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: same problem on the screw in the GR-207 (fibre shutter) gear. Same screw, too. We changed them out wholesale in the 70's. Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 06:21 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis is giving out a trade secret on Century [Wink] I have drawers of these screws.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 07:22 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holo krome good stuff is all I have to say.
Mike

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-21-2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis is on the money here...including the mode of failure. I don't recall having to go to larger threads but definately using hardend screws and that the collet of the flywheel MUST be clamping the shaft tight or you will have the flywheel constantly trying to chop the screw on each and every pull down.

As for the GR-207...I couldn't imagine not using a hardened screw to make sure it is nice and snug on the shaft.

A common mistake I see is when one throws up their hands and loads hex-cap screws in the Century to do away with the fillister slot head screws is that the GR-7 that drives the GR-207 MUST remain as a fillister head OR one must grind down the corners of the hex-cap or they will find themselves cutting up the GR-207.

And...no complaints with Holo-Krome either.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-22-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The secret is to realize that the flywheel wants to rotate continuously while its shaft is rotating intermittently.
I donno Louis.. All the cams shafts in the Mountain States rotate continously.... but with pull down placing a little back load on the cam itself. Perhaps it something to do with being East of the Mississippi... or you are using some really old Wolk gears [Eek!] .

Really, I think that you meant that the kinetic motion stored in the flywheel helps to overcome the intermittent load that is placed on the continously rotating cam [thumbsup] .

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
flywheel helps to overcome the intermittent load that is placed on the continously rotating cam .

Now, this can bring un an interesting question with this statement above and on the issue of shearing flywheel screws: Would high gate tension cause excess work on the cam rotation and with the combining rotation force of the flywheel cause these screws then to strip if not tighten correctly?

Now, we know that Century cams are quite a bit bigger than the Simplex variety, thus more mass that has to rotate, would this be a factor as well in the condition?

Another thing on this issue is wondering if the intermittent sprocket shaft lock collar is too tight against the shaft boss where there is no allowable oil clearance between collar and the boss which could cause the 'chug-chug-chug' startup of a machine and putting excessive workload on the cam and going back to the flywheel issue as well ..

...just some observation questions to ask.. - thx Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-22-2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Yes

2. Yes and No

3. [Confused] [Eek!] [uhoh] you'r drivin slow in the left lane again....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: