Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How can I rebuild and calibrate a DTS reader. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How can I rebuild and calibrate a DTS reader.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an interest in rebuilding my own DTS readers and avoiding the $350.00 fee for the service by DTS. Does anyone do this or is this exclusively performed by DTS only?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 01:38 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claco-The company Mark works for-last I knew would do a rebuild at a very reasonable price point.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2007 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will only do them if the scanning drums are not worn. Readers with good drums are rare after running that many feet of film. Since DTS introduced the later version of the PCB that fits in the reader you don't have to make the 4 volt adjustment... so getting them rebuilt at the factory not only gets you a new drum but also the later style board that you never have to adjust.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-04-2007 09:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, the LEDs will last a bit longer too. While the board may auto calibrate, the LED will still fade...some batches at fantastic rates.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2007 01:06 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming I could acquire a new scanning drum and a new style self calibrating circuit board, could I perform the alignment with a scope? Is there information about how to perform this calibration and the equipment required?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-07-2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you "know someone inside" they can't be aquired. We stock an LED that works very well and has very long life.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-07-2007 09:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS Published a Technical note TN-E698A that covered what the time code should look like on a scope if all was adjusted properly. I didn't check but that TN may be here on Film-Tech.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-07-2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Greenberg solves these kinds of problems. Louis

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2007 12:20 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser

Carl Greenberg

[Confused]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-08-2007 09:41 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl runs Quality Presentations in Massapequa NY tel: 516-667-3456

Carl supports the DTS-6 and sometimes has access to parts that the dts factory no longer has. He will work with you. Louis

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2007 10:53 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myself as well as a certain ACE technician I once spoke with have had success doing the alignment with running film, specifically multiple trailers (if it doesn't loose tracking through the different trailers it should be pretty close).
Not really the correct way to do it but it gets the job done.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Carl Greenberg solves these kinds of problems. Louis

Carl's involvement is mainly to repair the older boards in 6D's, 6's, and 6AD's. He unfortunately doesn't do any TCR repairs there..... Anyone tied to two different Blackberry's couldn't possibly have the time to do them.

You are far better off sending the bad TCR back to DTS. I believe they have finally gotten the LED situation right this time as well.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-08-2007 06:02 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackberries [puke] Carl [Cool]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Blackberries [puke]
Yes Richard.... Carl IS the gadget guru to end gadget gurus! Thats how he gets your messages and then calls you back [Big Grin] . Perhaps not all that bad a gadget! I wonder if we will all see Carl sporting dual I-phones at the next convention?????

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve...I found the Technical Note here:

DTS TCR Technical Note - Timecode Reading Problems - TN-E698

Unfortunately I am too curious not to try and fix one of these myself. Usually when something is broken I figure I cant make it much worse. Most of the time I'm able to figure it out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: