Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Obsolete Dolby sound formats. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Obsolete Dolby sound formats.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How widely used were the following sound formats:

Dolby mono.

Dolby stereo, no surround.

Dolby 'A' four track magnetic.

Can anybody give examples of films which were released in these formats?

On the Dolby 'A' magnetic tracks, was the dreaded 12kHz. surround switching tone system still used, or was abandoned, due to the noise reduction on the surround channel? Or indeed, had it already been abandoned in any case by the time the Dolby magnetic prints were introduced? What, and when, was the last film to be released with the 12kHz. switching system?

When Dolby SR was introduced did it immediately replace Dolby 'A' on film prints, or was there a considerable period of overlap when both systems were in use?

There have been four channel Super-8 magnetic releases, with Lt on the main, and Rt on the balance stripe; have any of these used Dolby B, or indeed any other form of noise reduction?

I have run a couple of matrix encoded Dolby 'A' tracks on 16mm fullcoat magnetic, but these were the filmakers own prints for his own use; was there any other use of any noise reduction on any 16mm prints, e.g. for television use?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2007 09:28 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Dolby SR was introduced there were only select releases at first. If you couldn't afford the cards, you could rent them from Dolby. This went on for almost 5-years. Then Dolby stopped supporting A-type and only printed SR. If you paid the licensing fee, then you got SR.

Then Dolby didn't renew the patent on A-type and anybody was free to use it. So many overseas film came with A-type. But with all the international festivals and releases, now almost everything comes SR.

Only countries without trading agreements with the U.S. like Cuba and Iran still use either Mono or A-type.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-01-2007 09:39 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They make movies in Cuba?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First the mis-information. While yes there was an overlap period of Dolby-A and Dolby-SR...it has NOTHING to do with not renewing its patent...where did you make that up? The patent had run its course and expired...patents are designed to expire after a period of time to allow the inventor to profit from their R&D yet allow stale technology to benefit all. Copyright is the absurd one that can seemingly be kept going forever. In my mind, they too should have similar time limits before becoming public domain...but that is a different subject.

Dolby did not rent SR cards...the most popular company that DID rent SR cards was called "Audio Rents." Orion, the most popular user of Dolby-SR prior to Dolby Digital, would also provide cards with the feature, at least in some markets and for some titles.

As to format 23, 4-track magnetic with Dolby NR...there are several examples...Yentel and the Fantasia with the "new digital mix" versions come immediately to mind. They did NOT have the dreaded 12KHz tone. I agree with a friend of mine that stated that they got it wrong...the tone should have been present when the track was otherwise silent. If you don't have the equipment to decode the track, you turn it off or make a simple low pass filter. If you do have the equipment you have silence with there is nothing on the track and have clean audio when it is on.

As for Dolby Mono...see "Woody Allen" the biggest user of Dolby Mono...even in the digital era.

I'm drawing a blank on format 03 (no surrounds) and it was a bigger deal in the days of the Cat 116 decoder than it would be in the days of the Cat 150D - Cat 150F. I'm pretty sure that the original 35mm versions of Apocolypse Now were format 03.

I am not aware of any 35mm 4-track films with Dolby-SR but there is no technical reason that they could not exist. 70mm never had the push to Dolby-SR like optical stereo did due to its increased inherent S/N. However, starting with the restoration of Lawrence of Arabia, virtually ALL 70mm films I ran after Lawrence were Dolby-SR encoded and "split surrounds" also started to become the defacto standard.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Format 03 was a real format but was not used much except for so-called "art" films and in early days where the surround output was deemed unsuitable, ie, unintentional effects. Apocalypse Now was an example of this as the 70mm version used surrounds to great effect.

Woody Allen does not release in "official" Dolby Mono, it just turns out that way. The matrix over the years got good enough to keep everything in the channel intended

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 11:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby stereo, no surrounds was actually quite common in the early days of dolby stereo.(Dolby people HATED surrounds; internal politics.)

Many times, we went into a theatre, playing a film with no surrounds and turned them on to find that all was very good. The print, however, was clearly marked "no surrounds." "Chariots of Fire" had technical problems in the mix that interfered with surrounds. The ending (long) benefitted greatly from surrounds; we turned them on after the last dialog. Louis

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that the original 35mm versions of Apocolypse Now were format 03.

The original release of Apocolypse Now 35mm had surround during the helicopter attack on the village. There was one other scene that had surround, which escapes me at the moment. The rest of the film was front only.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-01-2007 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sam just confirmed that the original release of Apocolypse Now was not supposed to be played with surrounds in 35mm Dolby Stereo. If you heard surrounds by turning on the decoder...that would just prove why they wanted the surrounds turned off...there was information that got into the surrounds that was not intended.

As for offical Dolby Mono films...A Clockwork Orange I think was on the Dolby mono list.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Dolby 'A' four track magnetic.

Can anybody give examples of films which were released in these formats?

THE LITTLE PRINCE (1974, Paramount)
NASHVILLE (1975, Paramount)
LED ZEPPELIN: THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME (1976, WB)
A STAR IS BORN (1976, WB)
MacARTHUR (1977, Universal)
ALL THAT JAZZ (1979, Fox)
HAIR (1979, UA)
FAME (1980, MGM)
THE IDOLMAKER (1980, UA)
TAPS (1981, Fox)
FANTASIA (1982 re-issue, Disney)
YENTL (1983, MGM/UA)
AGAINST ALL ODDS (1984, Columbia)
THE NATURAL (1984, TriStar)
BRING ON THE NIGHT (1985, Goldwyn)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
As for offical Dolby Mono films...A Clockwork Orange I think was on the Dolby mono list.

That was recorded with Dolby, and is often claimed to be the first film to use the process (I don't know whether it actually was), but wasn't the track on the release prints standard Academy mono?

I am not aware of any 35mm 4-track films with Dolby-SR but there is no technical reason that they could not exist.
No technical reason, but I think it would be umlikely, at least in Europe and the US, 4-track had been pretty much dead for some time when SR was introduced. I believe it lasted somewhat longer in India.

quote: Michael Coate
THE LITTLE PRINCE (1974, Paramount)
NASHVILLE (1975, Paramount)
LED ZEPPELIN: THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME (1976, WB)
A STAR IS BORN (1976, WB)
MacARTHUR (1977, Universal)
ALL THAT JAZZ (1979, Fox)
HAIR (1979, UA)
FAME (1980, MGM)
THE IDOLMAKER (1980, UA)
TAPS (1981, Fox)
FANTASIA (1982 re-issue, Disney)
YENTL (1983, MGM/UA)
AGAINST ALL ODDS (1984, Columbia)
THE NATURAL (1984, TriStar)
BRING ON THE NIGHT (1985, Goldwyn)

That's a longer list than I was expecting.

quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
The original release of Apocolypse Now 35mm had surround during the helicopter attack on the village. There was one other scene that had surround, which escapes me at the moment. The rest of the film was front only.

That's interesting, given that it was the 70mm version of this film that the Dolby SA5 unit was introduced for. Did the 70mm version also use the surrounds in only a few scenes?

Were there instructions to turn off the surrounds during the rest of the film in the 35mm matrix version, to prevent leakage from the L and R channels?

My interest in stereo sound is somewhat strange given that I have a hearing defect which causes me difficulty in correctly hearing direction in sound. This has got considerably worse in the last couple of years, so it is now probably too late for me to properly hear the track that I would be most interested in, even if it does get presented somewhere; the 4-track 35mm (and 34mm) version of 'Around the World in 80 Days', with the Perspecta surround track. I would also like to have heard Fantasound before the original recordings were put through so much processing and conversion over the years.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 03:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with a friend of mine that stated that they got it wrong...the tone should have been present when the track was otherwise silent. If you don't have the equipment to decode the track, you turn it off or make a simple low pass filter. If you do have the equipment you have silence with there is nothing on the track and have clean audio when it is on.

Unfortunately there was lots of things wrong with that whole 12khz trigger tone concept -- totally assinine idea. Using it to turn OFF the surround channel wouldn't work either, in fact it would be worse.

First, the problem that the trigger tone was trying to solve was not only that the surround channel was noisy and needed to be silenced when not in use, but that the adjacent channels leaked audio content into it; even the best heads of those days were susceptible to cross-talk, and as we know, there is nothing worse than hearing dialogue coming out of the surround channel preceding the same dialogue from the front, the delay being made even worse by the mammoth size of the theatres in those days. And in 1953, digital delaying the surround channel al la Dolby's surround, which would have fixed it (somewhat), was much to expensive. In fact, if it weren't for the cost of digital delay coming more affordable because of large scale integrated circuits, Dolby's matrix surround wouldn't have been possible either.

As for the cross-talk -- well, it didn't only bleed from the front channels to the surround -- it worked the other way as well. And remember, that 12kHz was recorded at freakin ZERO DB! It easily bled into the adjacent front channels when it was present. At least if it is ON only when the surround needed to be activated, it usually was when music content at good levels was present in the screen channels, which somewhat masked the leaky 12kHz tone. Even with the best notch filters -- we use the top-of-the-line Altec 12k tunable notch filters -- you still hear that eeeeeeee tone. There wasn't a 4trk mag film that I ever saw, and I've seen alot, no matter in what theatre, where I didn't hear that blasted tone which allowed me to turn to my friends and say, "Watch, the surround channel is going to come on now." (obnoxious little unpopular smartass that I was).

If that tone were pumped into the surround track ALL THE TIME except for then the surround track was active, it would drive everyone craze and require notch filters in the front channels as well and it STILL wouldn't eliminate it totally. Can you imagine in quiet sections of the film, hearing that squeal coming from the screen channels? How they settled on that system is beyond me. They could have at least figure a way to record the trigger at lower levels.

Or they could have easily done it with a cheap threshold/ducking amp. They were readily available as audio gear and used routinely in radio stations at the time. The presense of an audio at a certain threshold level would allow the audio signal to pass; anything lower than that, and the ducker would drop the output completely. We did just that -- got rid of the stupid relay and put in a Fairchild ducking unit which dropped the audio to the surround amp to -40db when there was no audio present. What was really sweet about using this system was that you could adjust the decay time so that the surround channel didn't just go instantly dead like it would with the relay; you could set the ducker to fade at something like a 2 second delay when there was no audio present, making it not nearly as noticable as an abrupt disconnect. Likewise the attack could be set so it was not an instant ON, but a smooth fade up. We set that much faster, but still not an instant ON. The trigger tone on the prints always preceded audio by a good couple of seconds so even though we faded up at say .5 seconds, it never missed actual audio.

This system even works well for the prints that have no trigger tone, of which there are quite a few.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2007 04:49 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby chronology

Film Sound History 1970's

Motion Picture Sound 1930-1989

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the 12KHz tone: Using a strobe to check projector speed and a freq counter to check frequency; many were recorded off-frequency. We purchased a 10.5KHz low pass filter from White Instruments which was 10 db down at 11.5 and 22 db down at 12KHz. No hf, but no tone either. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 06:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MagnaSync preamps didn't have a relay they actually muted the preamp circuit by I think if memory serves removing the bias on one of the tubes or maybe providing the bias from the tone itself
somewhere I think I might still have drawings of there unit
But what I remember was there was no audible 12K tone in the theatre that I had the unit installed in nor the one I had at home
The only thing I didn't like was the changeover circuit that switched the heads to a common group of preamps and also switch the HF and level pots

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-01-2007 08:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I think the crosstalk you experience had more to do with your sound systems and their installation more than any bleed through in the head or film. The spacing on the tracks and head construction all but made that sort of bleedthrough very improbable. I know I have not had it on the 4-track's I've run. I have heard of bleed through on the full-coat masters that made the prints where adjacent channels would contaminate another...including the surround channel bleeding into the right channel. I believe this was the case found when Lawrence of Arabia was restored...some of the sound elements came from various masters including the 4-track ones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: