Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trailers different from feature (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trailers different from feature
Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 10:58 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Bean. We received complaints because the scene in the trailer where he destroys a laptop was not in the feature.
2. Scoop. (And, if I remember correctly, the last Woody Mono Allen trailer) is in full 5.1 stereo
Numerous other features where the trailer was “Scoped” to attach to a Scope feature.
Does anybody have any other recent examples?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 02:36 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one from last year with Pirates O T C 2 , there were at least 3 scenes in the standard trailer which did not appear in the film , they were real good "one liners" to , one part was a scene with the cannibals another was on the beach being chased by natives and the third was he fell into the grave differently during the wooden wheel chase.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 03:30 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anchorman had lots of footage not in the theatrical release.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 04:54 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a non-feature scene in the trailer for "Now and Then"... don't laugh.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 07:17 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flushed Away had some other mice in the trailer with the main rat. In the movie they were gone...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since trailers are made many months before the feature is completed, it's not unusual at all for the content to be different.

Or, sometimes scenes are shot and then used for the "extended" DVD version (which is almost never better than the original cut).

Or sometimes material is shot specifically for the trailers, not meant to be included in the movie. The upcoming "Bee Movie" comes to mind.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-02-2007 07:48 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a shot in the Lemmony Snickets trailer not in the movie.

For what it's worth, there was one frame in the Apocalypto trailer that (I'm pretty sure) wasn't in the movie:

-

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 08:41 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, Kill Bill trailer springs to mind. Used that one as an example when trying to explain to a very insistent customer who seemed to think I'd chopped part of a film out, to save time. She said she'd seen the trailer for whatever it was on 'Jonathan Ross', so of course that must be right. [Wink]

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 09:27 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed when the music from the trailer for "Ever After" was not in the actual movie, nor on the soundtrack CD.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The strip scene in Grindhouse that was in the trailer but not Death Proof.

Gordon Burke
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Gordon Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Ratcliff
...disappointed when the music from the trailer for "Ever After" was not in the actual movie...
Has there ever been a trailer for the initial release that has used the score or songs from the film? Besides the unavailablility of the release music at trailer assembly time, the soundtrack for the trailer is always crafted to tie its movie to the success of a previous film.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2007 01:36 AM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'm sure that there was a time when trailers HAD to have only material that was in the feature itself: it was to do with Trade Practices, or false representation of goods, etc.

That was obviously in the time when you made a film then made the trailer afterwards. Now, when the trailer isn't so much a set of clips from the film as a separate advertising film in its own right, and is often out there in the cinema before the film itself is shot,things are different.

Maybe trailers should carry a disclaimer:" actual contents may vary" or similar! Otherwise patrons ought to be entitled to get their money back [Eek!]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-15-2007 04:27 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there's the classic example of the early SPIDERMAN trailer that was pulled after 9/11. Pulling them and editing the WTC out of the feature makes that older trailer still sell for $25-100 on ebay.

There's an early BLADERUNNER trailer (and a workprint) that features the song "If I Didn't Care" done by the Inkspots. When the producers felt they were being jacked around when they were asked to pony up $40,000 to use the song, they dropped it from the feature and inserted Don Percival's "One More Kiss Dear" in the release print.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-15-2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a spidy trailer and I distinctly remember the Blade Runner trailer...they made a big deal about it being in Dolby Stereo...which wasn't don't back when it came out...only about 20% of the features at that time were stereo.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember before 9/11 reading that the early trailer for Spider-Man was never intended to be in the feature, it was shot specifically as a trailer.

quote: Ron Curran
Bean. We received complaints because the scene in the trailer where he destroys a laptop was not in the feature.
This opens here next week, and on the trailer here they show him destroying a laptop while on a train (dropping coffee on it) ... is that the shot you're talking about? I wonder if that will be in the film as released here, or if they just kept the same trailer even though that got cut out of the movie?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: