Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamphouse Air Temperature (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lamphouse Air Temperature
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2007 04:37 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are on the topic of lamp exhaust, has anyone actually measured the air temp coming out of the top of the lamphouse? I know there are many variables including lamp size, amperage, etc..

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-31-2007 04:41 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guide is that if the exhaust duct is too hot to touch comfortably, you are likely overheating.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-31-2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if there is any place that lists the actual amounts of Ozone or other harmful elements coming out of an exhaust stack using a typical CURRENT "Ozone Free" lamp...for say a 2K-6K lamp.

It would also be nice to know how much one can derate the heat load presented to the projection room based on the amount of air flow going up the exhaust stack.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-31-2007 06:26 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I was doing that this morning, and got 110F for a 2k in a Xetron XHN2000.

Osram specs the anode base temperature at 230 degrees C (446 degrees F), which is not at all the same thing as the air temperature (see p. 25 of the
XBO Theatre Lamps: Technology and Applications
guide.).

On the ozone issue, p.33 would you believe that OFR really is "ozone free":

quote:

An electric discharge in xenon gas generates a spectrum ranging from about 140nm in the UV region to far into the infrared region. If the quartz glass bulb is transparent between at least 180 and 220 nm in the UV region, this radiation converts a small proportion of the atmospheric oxygen (O2) into ozone (O3). Ozone is itself a colorless, odorless gas (what you can smell are the reaction products of ozone as it attacks air-borne pollutants and nitrogen compounds); it is extremely aggressive and will damage your lungs if inhaled at relatively high concentrations over a long period of time.

Ozone emission can be suppressed by using quartz glass which absorbs radiation in the relevant UV region. The result is "ozone-free" lamps, which have the letters "OFR" added to their lamp designation. The quartz glass used is either bulk doped or suitably coated. See the UV radiation output in Fig. 33

Occasionally, even ozone-free lamps give off an "ozone scent" shortly after ignition. This has two possible causes: the ozone is produced either as a result of the (temporary) radiation of the spark gap used for ignition, or from the fact that when the quartz bulb is in the cold state the absorption edge can shift and small amounts of ozone-producing radiation can leave the bulb. Both effects cease once the lamp has started up and are cause of no significance.

Tangentially, I was wondering how involved it is to add a booster supply to an existing rectifier whose no-load voltage is a bit on the low side for striking (an IREM P1-X80 driving a 2K lamp; it just barely makes 80VDC no-load). Is this a straightforward thing to do?

--jhawk

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-31-2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Tangentially, I was wondering how involved it is to add a booster supply to an existing rectifier whose no-load voltage is a bit on the low side for striking (an IREM P1-X80 driving a 2K lamp; it just barely makes 80VDC no-load). Is this a straightforward thing to do?

I am having the same problem with older Irems over here in Wyoming. These are late 70's Irem's and I get about 90 volts. Lamps aget past about 2500 hours and it takes about 30 consecutive zaps for them to light automatically. Ohn Walsh sent me the schematic of the booster they have in stock and it looks straight forword but I have no idea of what one actually looks like. One down side is that there is a muffin fan to cool the blocking diode. A thermal cut out protects things from going into melt down if the fan fails.... but then its another fan to add to the already large lot of fans and blowers in an average booth.

Another thing you can try is replacing the main electrolytic capacitors. That might help you somewhat. As they age they develope leakage and such and cannot store the required "kick" you need to light the lamp... also known as Joules.
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-31-2007 09:13 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you need the fan for? There will be voltage constantly "pushing" at the diode, but current will only flow when the voltage is high enough to reach the sensing voltage, and that will only be for a few brief moments each time as the circuit should be dropped out as soon as ignition occurs and the circuit voltage drops down to operating voltage below 30V or so.

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 07:29 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is covering many areas I have dealt with in the past. From an exhaust standpoint, trying to get an actual temperature has never been exact. For new theater construction, the HVAC guys are always asking about specific air loads, exhaust fan numbers, flows and more. I do not recall this ever being fully quantified. Even the stack diameter and fan CFM can vary. Even the style of internal cooling of the lamphouse can affect exhaust air temperature. There's alot to consider.

As for the older IREMS, only with the recent advent of the higher pressure lamps has the open-circuit voltage become a major issue. The older lamps will still ignite quickly, as will a brand new lamp, but once the lamps get any age, the low open circuit will become a problem. Not the IREM's fault, as they are 20 to 30 years old! As noted in an ealier post, changing the caps and diodes will help, as well as making sure the input 3-phase voltage is at a decent level. The booster is another method. Blame it on progress!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-01-2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Reiter
This thread is covering many areas I have dealt with in the past. From an exhaust standpoint, trying to get an actual temperature has never been exact. For new theater construction, the HVAC guys are always asking about specific air loads, exhaust fan numbers, flows and more. I do not recall this ever being fully quantified. Even the stack diameter and fan CFM can vary. Even the style of internal cooling of the lamphouse can affect exhaust air temperature. There's alot to consider.
Then there is another aspect which touches us more directly: exactly where to measure the CFMs? "In the exhaust stack" or "at the exhaust stack" can give wildly varying readings, depending on exactly where you hold the probe, in the middle, on the side, exactly at lamphouse roof level, a little inside the stack, a little outside. Generally the idea is simply to measure air speed and then calculate the CFMs based on the area of the exhaust duct cross section. But since there is a lot of turbulence around the exhaust opening, that can be difficult and very imprecise.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2007 10:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally have the probe in the stack and move it about to get an average reading...generally you are only getting in the ballpark but I have found I can get easily repeatble readings this way.

I still would want to know, on average, how much heat load to the room is reduced based on a certain amount of air flow up the stack though I understand that would vary on the lamphouse design.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-01-2007 10:27 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, trying to measure the stack CFM with a fan-type probe sure was a pain. I get the feeling maybe it would be better with a hot-wire probe. With the fan-type probe, you're probably changing the static pressure of the system by inserting the probe...

I also tried measuring the CFM at the intake grill of the lamphouse, and got weird results.

Anyhow, I'm no HVAC expert, Steve, but the can't you just do this based on CFM? I mean, whatever CFM your exhaust is pulling out is whatever air it is pulling out. Say it's 1000CFM. Then look at what CFM your booth ventilation return fan is pulling out. Say it's 10,000CFM. Then you can just treat it like your return fan was pulling 11,000 CFM, or de-rate the heat load by 10%. No?

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-01-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John; that's exactly correct!

Strong had it right in the days of carbon arc; weighted cardboard, and metal plates, which, if air flow is sufficient, will "stick" to the roof of the lamphouse. No ambiguity there; it either will or it won't; no batteries either!! Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2007 10:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still carry a couple of those draft gauges in the van. They work great.

Mark

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2007 01:08 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curosity, what should the delta T be comming out of an average console?

Have manufacturers looked at varibly controlling the fan speeds based on temperature?

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of variable speeds, I have previously worked for two lamphouse manufacturers, and can fairly confidently say "NO!"! The additional cost of any sort of feedback system would raise the price of a lamphouse by a good margin. And, the complications to the building wiring and roof fan just add un-needed complexity. Best to keep things simple and easy to operate. I have seen enough troubles caused just by not turning on the roof fan!

[ 06-05-2007, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Dan Reiter ]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-04-2007 02:05 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with Dan. More stuff not only makes it more complicated, but some people don't even want to pay for stuff like autostriking, hour and volt meters, and have asked how much we'ed take off to remove those 'fancy extras.' Ack.

Besides, the heat is constant, why vary the exhaust anyway? Dampers or adjustable pullys or speed controls on the roof fan can be used to tweek the rate so the lamp is cooled, but you are not throwing away 'paid for' air conditioned air (if the booth is AC'ed.)

While the impeller type meter may change the CFM rate a little as you measure, I don't think its enough to pay the extra $100 or so for an insert probe. You don't need to know within +- 10 CFM. Besides, the impeller is handy for other areas.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: