Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using an oil additive to prolong life of parts such as duralube or slick 50 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Using an oil additive to prolong life of parts such as duralube or slick 50
Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 11:08 AM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone every try this? or know of it has been done?

For movements, gears boxes, bearings, bushings?

I was thinking it about to day when discussing oil in another thread. I wonder if it would be beneficial?

mike

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 12:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've tried Slick 50 in two engines for my car like the stuff is supposedly made for - and both engines blew up!

Stay away from that stuff.

And for the record, no I wouldn't recommend it for projectors either.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most oil additives (especially ones containing teflon) are either worthless or, worse, harmful. Teflon is a solid and won't stay in suspension and has a tendency of accumulating in pumps and filters and gumming things up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-26-2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teflon is not all bad...I haven't experimented with it in oil but in grease...it seems to do well...like on Century gears. Ever measured the temp of a gear mesh in a Century with standard TU-235 and then measure it again with SuperLube (a teflon type grease)...it is notably lower...denoting less friction. Superlube also tends to cling to the gears better offering longer lubrication too.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I use to restore Shopsmith 10er's a while back I discovered Superlube grease worked wonderfully on the main spindle, shaft and gears; it is great stuff! It is a silicone base with PTFE (Teflon). By far the best grease I have seen, however I think it is a little too expensive per unit! About $7.99 per oz in my area. I wish I could find it cheaper.

I'm not saying go wilynily and use only slick 50, but use a smaller ratio, like a 1:20 dilution or 1:40 dilution slick 50 to projector oil.

Last time I got intermittent oil from CPI it looked like water and was just as thin! Then I got some from Wolk and it was like 5W-20 motor oil and amber! I just wonder if any of the companies follow the original specs for oil viscosity when they bulk buy it and re-bottle? Or is it what ever is cheapest that month when they buy?

Mike

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2007 02:15 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't put that stuff or any additive for that matter in your car if it is still under warranty on the engine. Warranties will not cover any problems with the engine if it is found that the problems were caused by additives.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-26-2007 02:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just use the genuine stuff? Why the rebottled who knows what it is?

In a film projector...what is the annual consumption of oil and cost/year in oil if you use the super high priced genuine oils and lubricants? It just isn't high enough to worry about and the sludge I see coming out of knockoffs causes more harm than good....I'd swear the projector would have been better off with running stale outdated oil that has no more lubricating properties left than the crud I've seen in knock offs.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer synthetics over any other type of regular oil/grease lubricant provided there is one available that is the correct viscosity for the intended use. Synthetics tend to cover a wider temperature range and last far longer... they are alot slipperier and generate less particulate mater. Overall your machine will last much longer.

Funny thing about projector oils from Strong is they are ALL the same! If you buy Simplex, Century or Ballantyne you get the exact same oil... we had them tested locally. The only oil we re-package is for the DP-70. Its is the same oil that has been used in them since they appeared and we also reccomend LaVezzi oil in the DP-70 as well if you want to spend the $$ on it.

The only additive I've ever used is Marvel Mystery Oil. But only on 35mm film camera movements. A mixture of 50% mineral oil and 50% Marvel worksgreat on Mitchell movements. Apparently this mixture has been used in Hollywood for decades.

Many new cars have engines that require the use of synthetic oil only and using any other will void the warranty.

Mark

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 03:18 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
they are alot slipperier
Around these parts, you might hear someone say they are a lot "slippier." Sorry I had nothing better to contribute to this discussion.

BTW, there is an old quart of Duralube sitting up in our booth. I've never used it, but someone must have tried it a one point. It probably should be thrown away.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When ever I have ordered from my local suppliers, they have sent me either CPI oil, or Oil that says ED Wolk on it. I even tell them I want genuine Simplex oil for a Simplex machine and they send me I think what ever they have in stock at the time. I guess I could go through strong and get it. But if Mark is right maybe they are all using the same oil for almost everything out there now (Wrong Strong that is). Here's a good one, I'm getting a century in a few days from Louis, I wonder if I can use my left over oil I have from my simplex? It would be a shame to just chuck it. Anyone need a few quarts of simplex oil?

Mike

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-26-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....then something has changed. Century oil was decidely thicker and a different odor than say Simplex.

As to DP70...they have traditionally used Shell Turbo.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-26-2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only oil we suggest is 30 wt non detergent for soundheads and 10 weight non detergent for Simplex and Century. Our source for this is a mil spec Chevron oil for jet engines. Really just a tight spec with no additives.

My gripe is a mixture of lubriplate and something which sets up dissimiliar metals corrorion in Centurys and, when packed unto the Simplex later guide assembly, dries hard like concrete. Only gasoline will dissolve it. The state of Indiana is full of this, so much so, that I take 10 lateral guide assem blies with me when I go to a new theatre. Louis

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-26-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this subject come up before, and it reminds me of the attitude of a late friend of mine. He bought his two theatres from his father in-law, and acquired many of his maintenance habits from him as well.

For all the years he was in the business, he used non-detergent automotive oil in his intermittents, purchased at the local auto parts shop.

While I understand the motives here, and read the posts with interest, I can't help but imagine that my friend would comment that there had been car oil in his machines since they were new (in 1947), and they're still in service today... running just fine. I wouldn't do it, but it would be hard to argue the point with him.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2007 05:34 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last time I got intermittent oil from CPI it looked like water and was just as thin!
CPI oil looks different every time. It's horrid.
Presently we've been sourcing oil from Jack Roe with no problems. Simplex/Century oil be the same thing these days and works swimmingly.
Whether or not the machine can handle it I generally try and get the oil changed every 500-1000 hours.
It's el cheapo so I say, an ounce of prevention, yadda yadda yadda.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I shoot AMSOIL 5w30 in my vehicles and love the stuff)

AMSOIL - pure synthetic product www.amsoil.com

When I bought my gallon of 5w30 from a dealer, he right off knew that I was planning on keeping my car for as long as I can..

Their tranny oils, fluids and greases are great as well ..

Yes, stay away from additives, for at one time, the auto retail supply places use to stock tons of this stuff, including Slick 50, Energy Release, Duralube, ...et.al. Now, they have all but disappeared..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: