Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria 5 shutter gear problems

Author Topic: Victoria 5 shutter gear problems
Raphael Friedland
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Raphael Friedland   Email Raphael Friedland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shutter gear of Cinemeccanica V5 still making to much noise after changing all bearings
And make all the adjustment by the book.
What next??

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2007 03:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it is the gear box and not one of the idler rollers that is making the noise I assume the gears got changed as well

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2007 11:28 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silly question but did you grease it properly!!?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-06-2008 07:52 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 412 days since the last post.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2008 07:52 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar issue here , had bearing trouble in one of my vic 5 shutter gearboxes, My plan was to change the box out , however I began to have trouble in locating a spare. I obtained new bearings and rebuilt the box.It turned over free and smooth on the bench with correct backlash etc. but when i refitted it and tested it , it ran ok but making the noise of 100 bulldozers ?

After much searching I found a new replacement box from a cinema supplier , the only one in Australia I was told. I fitted the new shutter box test run it , machine purred like a kitten, however when I ran a test loop to check shutter phasing i was not so happy,I had bad ghosting. I retimed the shutter and tested , still ghosting and then while the machine was running the shutter began to flicker and then it stopped ! Not bad for a new shutter box I thought.

After removing the new box I found i could turn the input shaft and the shutter output shaft did not turn. looks like someone fitted one of the gears without the key inserted on the shaft.

So now we have no spares in Australia and I am running the machine with the old bulldozer box back in it.

I can't believe these guys don't carry stock of shutter boxes when the vic 5 is so common over here.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-06-2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your shutter box have nylon or steel gears? If steel it may require a rubber boot to dampen vibration.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 06:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might pay to buy one yourself while still available. (or a used V5) Louis

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2008 07:41 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the box that is in my machines has steel gears and is incased in rubber. I am wondering that due to the badly worn bearings , the gears have worn themselves with the bearings , and now i have fitted new bearings the gears are not meshing correctly and making the noise.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 07:58 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each time I put the new grease in my V5 they run so quiet for a while. Then the shutter starts again to rumble... [Smile]

I'm using official Cinemeccanica's grease.

Marco

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience with Vic 5s (which admittedly ended 7 years ago), the shutter gearboxes were effectively disposable items, however conscientiously you greased them. Eventually they failed and needed replacing. It was a case of when, not if.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can send them back to the Cinemecc agents for refurbishing. There is a trade in value as I recall

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes the shutter assembly is a repair/exchange item. I don't know the exact credit amount. I have newer vic 5's so I still have a warrantee.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: