Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC 1600 Lamhouse Sparkgap and PS Wiring (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ORC 1600 Lamhouse Sparkgap and PS Wiring
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2007 08:21 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Have a few questions on my new ORC1600 lamphouse and power supply.

First one is, is the sparkgap under the reflector suppose to have something around it? It looks like it may have been in glass..but I'm not seeing any sign of that in the lamp house. Is it okay to run without the envelope? See attached picture.

-

The second question is about the power supply wiring. I'm planning on running the ps on 220 so I assume that you hook one leg to each of the 220 lugs. What about the 3rd ground wire as I'm not seeing a terminal for that?

The last question is about the fan relay block in the power supply. The wires are just sitting around it...does anyone have a picture that they could check to see if they are supposed to be hooked up or not?

-

Thanks for your help, it's veery appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
call Strong and ask for Dale. He's an old ORC guy. He can answer you questions.

Bernie

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-09-2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly not many parts available from Strong, the last supplier of ORC parts. Substitution may work on electrical parts, including spark gaps. Louis

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

That's what I was fearing about the part. I did find the other part of the envelope. I just didn't know if the gap was in a vacuum or could be used without one. If it doesn't have to be in a vacuum i could put the piece of glass back around it and use it until I can find one.

Louis, might you have in your stock?

Thanks again,
Cody

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2007 10:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spark gap is not in a vacuum. The covering is just to keep the electrodes from getting into trouble.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2007 11:46 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to toss out a bunch of ORC 2K rectifiers and platters. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I can remove it.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 10:21 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ignitor is a Victoreen which is a division of a resistor manufacturer. I have not seen this unit in years. The cover is an insulated cap not under vaccum. The rental ORC units I had and for client repair I have used a conventional "tube type" spark gap as used in older Cinemeccanica and on the typical German Bauch ignitor.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-10-2007 01:41 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
The ignitor is a Victoreen which is a division of a resistor manufacturer.... and on the typical German Bauch ignitor.
Richard, you're good. [Wink]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
[Smile] [beer] [Cool]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh PUHLEEEZE! Get a room you two...

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,
I know you are trying to "hose down" that fire in your backyard. I know you are too busy to join us [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phill is never too busy [Big Grin]

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2007 08:52 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for everyones help. I'm going to put the glass casing back over it and position it so it stays on there. I believe it was cracked and shipping just knocked it off.

Anyone have a manual for the rectifier so I can get it hooked up?

Thanks,
Cody

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to ask one last question, for now. I have the 4 terminals in the power supply labeled 115v 115v input and 230 230 input. I do not see a neutral or a ground. Any ideas how to go about hooking these up? I can get a picture if needed.

Thanks,
Cody

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2007 08:40 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure ground goes to chassis somewhere in there - look for a lug. I recently got replacement RF transformers for those ignitors from Strong, and regularly use the sparkgaps from discarded Strong DC ignitor PC boards to replace faulty ones in the ORCs...
Since you are going to run on 230V, just make sure the chassis is grounded - you'll be fine. If 110, one of those terminals marked 115 should have a white wire on it. Neutral. (If memory serves)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: