Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simple DTS Question [SOLVED] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simple DTS Question [SOLVED]
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-05-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we've got 4 sets of DTS units (DTS-6D plus a reader attached to each). But the drives don't work well at all, due to the fact that they were new 10 years ago when our theater opened. We've got extra drive replacement sets.

But for me to be able to get access to the drives, I'd have to pull the DTS-6D out of the sound rack and most likely disconnect the reader from the DTS-6D (at least one of the readers is REALLY REALLY stuck in place and won't loosen from where it's mounted). Our old tech had mentioned to someone that if the reader gets disconnected from the DTS-6D and reconnected later, it needs to be "recalibrated" (or re-timing it for the timecode versus image location).

Is he right? Is it true that I can't disconnect the reader, reconnect it, and just have it run like before?

And if he was right how does one calibrate this?

I'd have my current tech do it, but he's busy with more pressing problems throughout the area. Plus, dolby digital pretty well as it is. I've just found DTS (when the drives work) to be work better than it when the drives worked.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just disconnect the cabling at the dts player. Leave the cabling and the reader alone. Nothing will be affected.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-05-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. This'll be pretty damn simple then.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, replacing the drives on a DTS unit is one of the simpler things I've done in the booth. I don't know how much computer hardware experience you have but one thing to remember is to make sure the jumpers on the back of the drives you put in are set correctly.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 12:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've changed drives in computers and installed motherboards. And I found directions from DTS themselves that shows the jumper settings. This'll be easy.

Link

[ 05-06-2007, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and what's interesting that with the 6D units with the v.1.46 upgrade completed, that one can use APPLE SCSI drives in these players...and they are almost a dime a dozen on eBone...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 02:57 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know.

Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to know about the drive availability. I have to order a few as well. Do you recall off hand what DTS charges for their drives?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
link

At the above, the 3 drive replacement kit goes for almost $600.

[ 05-07-2007, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Chris Slycord ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 07:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a bit steep for an v.1.46 upgrade kit. Last time I did one, our supplier charged us $407.00 for the last upgrade kit that I performed..and you have to get the 3 tray version since the 2 tray kit version is no longer available if doing a DTS-6 unit.

I would check with suppliers first before doing any online direct ordering..Suppliers can cut deals to their customers whereas online ordering are prob charging factory OEM prices.

AND, what's a little interesting that the SCSI drives are RW-HiSpeed drives..

-Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2007 02:10 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The boxes that I thought were replacement drive kits really had the original drives and electronics when the place opened in '97. We already had everything replaced in 2003.

But at least now I got one of the players open and we've got 1.46 firmware, so I can pretty much install any SCSI cdrom (and even and IDE one with a SCSI-IDE bridge).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-07-2007 02:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.46 doesn't support most scsi cdrom drives been there and we have tried most of them they will work part of the time
we haven't tried the apple drives but the Panasonic, Plexor Sony NEC drives didn't work
The current upgrade kit ships with the newer SCSI board 3 DVD Drives with ISA/SCSI bridges and firmware and the aquilla board so it is more expensive than the older kits

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2007 10:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean IDE-SCSI bridge? The instruction set I posted the link to shows and refers to an IDE-SCSI bridge.

Plus, ISA/SCSI bridge wouldn't make much sense as there aren't any ISA DVD players that I know of.

Having that kind of bridge would be helpful since IDE drives are easier to come by for the future.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-09-2007 04:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And apparently, you can only use DVD drives with the new SCSI card. The old ones will only work with CD drives.

EDIT: Nevermind; I should read specs only when I'm not tired.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-22-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 379 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: