Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spider-man 3 Reel Issues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spider-man 3 Reel Issues
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All 3 of our prints had minor to major problems (one had a reel with MAJOR color issues at its tail, another had an emulsion scratch & other stuff that seemed to indicate it had been viewed already but was new, and another had slight color streaking).

Another nearby theater in my chain had 6 prints, each of which had some problem.

I am posting this in a new topic in a different area to get away from all the discussion in the feature info section.

I had two different reels with surface scratches that I had to replace. They had to have the reels shipped in from the labs because the depot that serves our area no longer had any reels left. These scratches looked like they may have occurred during a QC check during the manufacturing. Essentially they ran it once to check the soundtrack.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 02:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our theatres experienced Reel 3 developing issues as well ...QA from DeLuxe got overwhelmed this time (well, with striking over 4k prints for this movie....but, still no excuse of this kind no matter one print or a million prints..)

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 04:37 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe this is on the largest number of screens too. Most theaters on Oahu have at least 3 prints. Some have 5. So there has to be at least 12,000 prints.

Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is quit obvious that these reels were done a completely different facilities with some major standards issues. Dolby digital failures due to data packet timing errors reeked havoc until I figured out it was not our equipment. Thank goodness that DTS was able to take over.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 12:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do find myself wondering, were these printed at Deluxe Toronto (funky fonts, if they still do that) or Deluxe Hollywood (slashes through the titles on tails)? -- I suppose the answer is probably "both." I also wonder at the count: anyone want to round your print number (or reel copy numbers) to the nearest thousand and post it if it's higher than 8,000? [Cool]

Blaine Young in the FITA said, "We are running 6 prints. Of these, 1 entire print has 'water streaking' down the right side of the screen - visible mostly during the bright scenes. 1 reel of a 2nd print has 'water streaking' and a 3rd print has a section of blank film base nearly 3 feet long in the middle of the reel."

Obviously they were rushed, but it seems pretty weird that you'd see a lab defect (presumably insufficient drying) on all reels of a print, since reels are printed independently. It has to make you wonder if there was some very major quality control problem above-and-beyond simply being rushed.

It seems like it's been a while since we've had a big release printed at both Technicolor and Deluxe. Maybe after this we'll see more of that.

--jhawk

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you round up our print numbers you would get 10 000 (but I am not sure if this is acurate, I notice most prints we get in have can numbers in the 9000's)
I also major differences between differet reals, most notably some of them had a "red" dolby digital soundtrack, and some of them had a more blackish blue one.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 12:42 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is that pretty much all the reels that I have had issues with in the past 6 or 7 months have been related to Sony releases. The print quality is very hit and miss with this company. I can't remember which lab printed the reels but the quality sucks.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Rosen
I also major differences between differet reals, most notably some of them had a "red" dolby digital soundtrack, and some of them had a more blackish blue one.
I can't even remember the last time I saw a red DD track. I thought they had completely switched to cyan.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 04:15 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had a customer mention that the color "shifted" on Spiderman 3 and inquired if we should have our equipment checked. I told him it was the film lab. He assumed I was passing the buck.
[Frown]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-06-2007 04:35 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of telling him it was a film lab problem said "Thank you for telling me. Now I know I need to get a replacement reel."

Or, if you had ordered one, just flat out told him that the replacement reel hadn't arrived yet.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 of my seven prints had bad reel one. They had splotches throughout the entire reel. It even intruded into the attached trailer.

I have included a couple pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. I used my phone for the pictures.

This picture shows the difference between the tail of the new reel and the tailing part of the reel.  -
 -

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 10:28 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
I can't even remember the last time I saw a red DD track. I thought they had completely switched to cyan.

sorry, I may have not communicated it properly, the analog track was in cyan, I am refering to the dolby digital in between the sproket holes, on most of the prints I have received this has been red.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2007 02:13 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant that I can't remember ever seeing a red dolby digital soundtrack. I only remember seeing blue ones.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-07-2007 04:19 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like I got lucky. No problem here, but I had to have a reel replaced on "Terabithia" a couple of weeks ago.... same reason.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-07-2007 09:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
I meant that I can't remember ever seeing a red dolby digital soundtrack. I only remember seeing blue ones.
Uhh.... unless my eyes are going bad, Dolby Digital soundtracks have always been black.

I've never seen any kind of red soundtrack...maybe Josh could post a picture?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: