Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Superman movies in 70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Superman movies in 70mm
Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2007 05:50 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive never had the chance to see the superman films in 70mm only Superman II in 35mm a few years back and that was in a bad state. Is there any 70mm copies still circulated?.

Can anyone comment on the Dolby 6 track presentations for the Superman 1 to 3?.
I was upset with warners not doing a 5.1mix for the recent superman III dvd release because it would of sounded great, im fed up with the flat Dolby Surround track.

cheers

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-24-2007 10:45 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why this was posted in the Large Format forum, so poof! it's moved.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-24-2007 11:21 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studio might have a print of Superman II in their storage in Burbank. Most likely those prints are gone. The last time I handled a 70MM print of a Superman movie was number 2 back in 1981.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2007 12:08 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superman -
Saw it opening day at 8am (the first paid public showing there - Tues-Thurs were benefit showings) at Mann's Chinese in 70mm Dolby baby-boom format (supposedly the print had splits, but the Chinese not showing it that way). Anyway, the mix had fully directionalized dialog during the first reel, but not much (if at all) during the rest of the film. Strangly, this is missing from the supposed original soundtrack included on the new DVD. If I recall correctly, there was litle use of the surrounds.

Superman II - saw in 70mm without Dolby processing at the UA Movies 6 in Bakersfield. The sound was pretty bad. It was muffled, as though the sound was being repressed. Playing a Dolby film without Dolby should have the reverse effect, making things sound brighter than they should (as this theatre did for FAME and THE JAZZ SINGER earlier that year). I do remember some film critic noticing that it sounded like Dolby in reverse.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-24-2007 01:20 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re S-II, saw it at the Edwards Big Newport in 70mm, don't recall anything bad about the sound. However the color timing was "off" for the entire print and Superman's red cape etc. was pinkish. [puke]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave...you may have seen it in 35mm...if you went during the first couple of weeks of its run.

From "70mm In Los Angeles":

quote:

June 19:
SUPERMAN II
Anamorphic Blow-Up / Six-Track Dolby Stereo
DC/Salkind/Warner Bros.
“The Adventure Continues”

Hollywood: [Mann] Chinese (shown on two screens) (Megasound)
Westwood Village: [Mann] Village (Megasound)

Includes West Coast Premiere on June 2 (Samuel Goldwyn)

Expanded Release on July 1
Newport Beach: [Edwards] Newport (move-over from Chinese; opened in 35mm on June 19)

Expanded Release on July 17
Orange: [Syufy] Cinedome (opened in 35mm on June 19)

Additional 70mm Engagements
Hollywood: [Mann] Vogue (Aug. 21)
West Los Angeles: [Pacific] Picwood (Sep. 4)
Bakersfield: [UA] Movies 6 (Nov. 6)

[70mm Trailer: “So Fine”]

[Also see 1982 re-issue entry]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw SUPERMAN I at Woodfield in Chicago. Simply the finest 70mm presentation I ever saw. Picture and sound were absolutely perfect. And this was rather late in the run. One of my finest movie experiences ever.

None of the others were convenient in 70mm.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-25-2007 10:55 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm "pretty sure"® I saw Superman II in 70mm at the Big Newport. "I could be wrong"®. Whether it was 35mm or 70mm though, the print was very pinkish.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2007 11:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
Saw SUPERMAN I at Woodfield in Chicago.
That was one of the better theaters around the Chicago area... With McClurg Court downtown being the best. I saw both Superman 1 there and Alien at Woodfield. McClurg was the better of the two though. Sadly both are now gone. There are few decent theaters left in the world!

Mark

[ 04-25-2007, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-25-2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David; I teched the world premiere of Superman II at the Uptown In D.C. We had 7 70mm prints; all had color problems and audio problems (missing tracks). The print we used was highly "pink", but the audio was good.Some reels were purple. Many were highly pissed because of the pink. Louis

Saw same film in 35mm; color/picture was excellent.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-25-2007 12:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, thanks for confirming that my memory is accurate on the color issue.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm "pretty sure"® I saw Superman II in 70mm at the Big Newport. "I could be wrong"®.
Dave, what's with all the "Circle R's"? You makin' fun of one of my former employers? You know, the one who liked to write (ad nauseam) about all that DTS®, Essential Resource® and Holosonic Sound™ crap. [Big Grin]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-27-2007 12:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "SUPERMAN #1" at the Northpoint Theatre in San Francisco in 70mm when I spent a few days there after I had attended a photographers convention on the east coast. The presentation was flawless. Because it was so long ago, I do not remember if the showing featured split surround. Although many films were in 70mm here in Honolulu, none of the Superman films played in that format here.

-Claude

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-31-2011 10:15 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1433 days since the last post.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2011 10:15 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so wait I'm confused - I thought the 6-track sound on the 70mm prints of 'Superman I' were tested with split surround, but as Paul Linfesty pointed only went out in 70mm 'baby boom' added bass (i.e, 'Star Wars') - I thought the first commercial split surround mix was 'Apocalypse Now' in '79, what's the story here?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: