Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra Stereo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ultra Stereo
Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 04:44 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this has probably been discussed before, but ive always wondered if Ultra Stereo is still in use?..ive never been to a theatre with it equiped. Ive noticed alot of movies in the 80s and early 90s were encoded with Ultra Stereo, was a cheaper alternative to Dolby?.Was it superior?

|  IP: Logged

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know the theater I started at (an old twined 800 seater) still uses 2 JSx-1000s with the old "8-track" style push buttons on the format cards. All the surround function did was basically a glorified quadraphonic surround but we had so many blown speakers it didn't really matter. They are great processors though that hold up, never had a problem. Actually I just was talking to my tech last night about Cinemark and their love for the Js-200.

edit: I wanted to add one more thing. It was a great processor to learn on if not one of the best.

[ 04-18-2007, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 01:10 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ultra Stereo Labs, or USL, Inc. as it is now known, is still in business. In fact we are celebrating our 25th year in business. Actually it is more than 25 years, we were incorporated 25 years ago.

USL encoded many movies over the years including the ever popular "Headless Body in a Topless Bar" and "Attack of the KIller Bimbos". Actually we did do a few realy good movies, Robert Altmans "The Player" comes to mind along with a bucket load of "B" movies.

We still produce a vast product line of cinema equipment. If anyone has questions on USL please feel free to e-mail me.

Clint

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 01:37 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen any decline in Ultra Stereo equipment in theaters. I still install their processors and service lots of theaters with their equipment. Parts are no problem to get for them either.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-18-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I service a 6plex loaded with USL units - 2 JSX-1000's 3 JB series, and one JS-200

Used to service a 4plex that had one JS-5/95 unit.
Service a single with a JS-200

Service a drive-in with a JS-200 (with L/R cards removed and just running Center channel option for the lobby sound - being the drive-in uses FM stereo)

The USL people are great to work with and I commend and recommend them highly for what they've done.

They're quite an easy processor to work with.

Yes, I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's that UltraStereo was giving Dolby a decent run for sound encoding with the film releases of that time. Seems that about every 3rd to 5th movie release was encoded in UltraStereo

-Monte

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the possible exception of the Stars and Stripes Drive-in (I don't know what sound equipment is used there), Lubbock is 100% Ultra-Stereo. 33 First run screens (Cinemark's 2 complexes), and the independently owned sub-run theatre Showplace 6. 39 screens total.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 02:49 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Limits Of Thermal Travelling"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113659/

This one sticks in my mind because the director was a lecturer at the university I attended. Quite a nice, if wacky, bloke.

It also sticks in my mind as we'd never seen or heard an Ultra Stereo print before, it was a premier screening for the Edinburgh Internation Film Festival, and no one had a clue wether to run it 03, 04 or 05. In the end we did a few test screenings and 04 seemed to do the business the best.

I've got a few USL processors on service, apart from not having the correct pink noise generator (I inject pink noise from my Abacus RTA via the back door, as it were), they seem to be decent units, only ever had PSU isues with them, which were easily enough resolved.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-18-2007 04:52 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always appreciated the Ultra "pink" noise generators. [Wink]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I painted mine black. [Wink]

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have UltraStereo processors in our two lower auditoriums. Work great, and tech support/parts from USL is awesome!

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several Ultra-Stereo units in my drive-in that have been working great for years.
quote: Clint Koch
USL encoded many movies over the years including the ever popular "Headless Body in a Topless Bar" and "Attack of the KIller Bimbos". Actually we did do a few realy good movies, Robert Altmans "The Player" comes to mind along with a bucket load of "B" movies.
I also have a old Ultra-Stereo promo T-shirt from that lists several Of those B movies that were "Recorded in ULTRA-STEREO"

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 05:57 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow!..thats cool that Ultra Stereo are still about!..cheers for the helpful info fellas.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra Stereo is not only still here. it is flourishing. The JSD-80's are selling out every month and are being used by a lot of cinemas as the B-Chain processor for D-Cinema as there is no need for an A-Chain in this application.

They also do the OEM manufacturing for most of the BACP readers, analog and digital. Great company to work with.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 01:37 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have four processors in our complex running fine after seven years.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-19-2007 11:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USL has shown real forthought in their product line:

They have their traditional bread and butter sound processors and Booth Monitors.

They OEM to DTS and Crown

They have very value priced IR hearing assist systems.

They have the niftiest light meter in the PSA200...which make setting up a lamp (especailly for 2-projector systems) far superior than eyeballing it or using a point-n-shoot type meter.

They make a relatively low cost Chromaticity meter (about 1/2 the price of its competition).

They have a stand alone product to decode PCM, AC-3 and even analog pro-logic signals from video sources for cinema use (similar to the Dolby's DMA8 plus sans the Dolby-E capability).

They even have a DCinema server in the works and designed their JPEG2000 board such that it could be licensed to other companies.

There is also the red readers (Jaxlight) as well as the BACP product line.

They seem to have film AND DCinema pretty well covered. About all they lack are the DCinema (or film) projectors!

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: