Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Deviation in rectifier output current

Author Topic: Deviation in rectifier output current
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have XBO2500 running @85A, but problem is that sometimes when I start lamp current goes up to 100A, then durring show falls to about 85A!

Problem is that when i start lamp current goes up to 90A and after 20 minutes it falls to 70A......and problem is because rectifier have 6 step regulation...so during show I can't regulate current...

Lamp is new and is same with other lamp.....maybe problem is in rectifier when transformer and diodes get's warmed!!

I'm thinking about replacing diodes with stronger and put better cooling to system, opinion?

Rectifier is three-phase built by one tech company 25-30 year ago.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 03:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this with all bulbs? I think this is a factor with bulb heating up the gas and pressure building. Have seen this on almost all systems; amps drop after heating. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-16-2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Christie/Ushio lamps this phenomon is so neglagable as to be non existant, a few amps drift at best. Have seen it alot on both Osram and LTI. To be safe and not sorry... also check all the large DC connections and the AC connections to the rectifier, especially those that are crimped. Check all bulb connections as well.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-16-2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(like the olden days of carbon arc - the new rods would send the ampmeter up about 10 to 20 amps higher until the positive rod began to develop the crater, then settle down for the duration of the rod..)

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-07-2010 03:18 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1147 days since the last post.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2010 03:18 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get this mine old post to life.....I did think today about this problem....having two Osram 2500W lamp, one is powered via Irem N3 and other via some older rectifier, on Irem is all okay, but on other after 15min current drops from about 85A to 75A or so....

Dunno why, some says is because of lamp, but if is lamp it would be same on Irem? I was think, is it maybe because of older diodes and that they get warm and voltage drop across them get's higher, which results in lower current?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: