Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Redline mystery (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Redline mystery
Mark Igel
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 11:51 PM      Profile for Mark Igel   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Igel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, we received a fax from Technicolor that said REDLINE would be delivered tomorrow by courier, just like every other Technicolor print. We don't have it booked, so I called Technicolor to advise of the error. Without giving the title, I explained briefly the situation and the lady asked: "is it Redline?". She then went on to say that the film company had booked it for us, for 5 weeks starting Friday, and she asked if we would accept the delivery. I confirmed our theater account and name with her, she said it was correctly addressed. She went on to say that the film company was sending the print to 30 theaters in the US to screen.

It all sounds strange, and if I hadn't called them, I'd think it was a joke.

Anyone else have any more info? We'll see if it actually shows up- and what the fallout is tomorrow.

(our theater is the only one for 40 miles, with 3 screens and a population base of 12,000)

[ 04-12-2007, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Mark Igel ]

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 01:00 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they (or someone) do that same thing with BloodRayne? I thought I heard something about theaters getting that when it wasnt even booked.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we're getting the print on Friday too. But its an actual booking from the home office.

Bernie

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our print of Ultimate Gift before it was even on our upcoming list from AMC and we got it about 2 weeks before it was released. Would've built it up earlier if we had confirmation we were gonna play it.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Had that too! Showed up and no one knew what it was about. I had a couple like that. Thr3e was one of those odd ball titles.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bloodrayne was shipped to hundreds of theatres it was not booked at. I don't know why anyone would be dumb enough to think such a money wasting stunt would help get their movie played. That is of course unless it was just an honest screw up that generated the order for all those prints and the subsequent shipping orders....

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Redline:
We've got this gigantic standee for the movie. They went so far as to have it include a TV which plays a DVD with the trailer for it continuously. Apparently, they sent it to every theater in the area (including one which they didn't bother checking that it had room for it in their lobby).

But it's not even playing in the theaters nearby most of the places they sent those stupid standees to. Clearly, they were thinking ahead on this one.

Mark Igel
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Igel   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Igel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..so the print did show up. The word on the street is that the film company probably guaranteed a certain number of playdates to the film maker, hence, the shipments without confirmed dates (like us). Our booker said to hold onto it and if it does well this wekend nationally- we'll play it next Friday. So, their plot will have worked- as long as the film delivers over the weekend.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 06:38 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, we got the tv as well. It's been just sitting in the booth. Word has it we got an email from someone that said just to discard the 20 inch flat (tube) tv and standee. A house manager wants it but I think I'm going to argue that the brake room would make sense!

Let's send a massive standee with a tv out to theaters that arnt even playing it! Good thinkin. Promotional budgets have stopped making sense to me a long time ago though..

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a big improvement over the TV we've already got in the break room for entertainment and training.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you played a movie you never ordered or contracted for, would you, in the absense of an agreement, owe anything? Maybe it is a gift.

Chris Dugan
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Chris Dugan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Dugan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took the shipping company about a month to finally get us the standee. Had the TV and TV stand for about 3 weeks. Just sitting in the booth.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-12-2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you played the movie? Yes...they are still the copyright holder. You certainly can't be billed for either shipping to/from the theatre. You could probably charge reasonable storage fees too.

Steve

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 07:12 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're actually showing the damn movie and we never got a standee OR TV. Where do we bitch about that?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That just made my day. Coordinated marketing effort at it's best...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: