Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35 mm projector over 100 years old in use in India (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35 mm projector over 100 years old in use in India
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 01:41 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this on You Tube. it's on a 35mm Pathe projector over 100 years old in use in India. It has been modified for optical sound as wellas as having other modifications done to it & is hand cranked. Search in You Tube under bioscope or bioscope projector. Not certain how old are the trailers & prints being shown but if the owners get a hold of any trailers or prints with DTS tracks, how can they keep the noise of DTS tracks from being heard.

|  IP: Logged

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 02:03 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the video

Probably should have been put into the random video threads.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-10-2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The units shown on more than one video on Indian traveling cinema use a Pathe projector circa 1909, hand cranked at sound speed to a soundhead. Both the soundhead, amplifier, lamphouse are battery operated. Note the theme that new technology [dlp] is hurting their business.
I had a Pathe in my former projector collection and I can see it could last 100 years with a little TLC [Cool]

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 03:43 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Bros. Projection Booth Italia

From 100 years ago to the modern times... try to fit this into the box on the bike. How would interlocking look when those guys try it? I think they would succeed... [thumbsup]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 05:46 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the way they use the platter arm as a loop accumulator is very clever!

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they saw the Interlock 101 video! That's impressive and smart!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-10-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the way they use the platter arm as a loop accumulator is very clever!

..that's an old CHRISTIE AW3 trick - in using that rewind arm as the accumulator. For both of the 21 and 14 screen complexes that I used to work in that had interlock, we did that same trick...never had interlock roller hardware hangin on the walls or ceilings..

Hm...did you see on that first CINE V-5 with that oscillating upper loop..that didn't look too good...few other machines had chatty intermittent assemblies....

V-5's can run a lot quieter than these were doing....

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 07:05 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the way the projectionist first neatly has the leader off the ground and then just throws it on the floor makes me wonder what he was thinking at that moment... it's a nice booth though... Vic5's all over the place...

O, and let's not forget the air horn when the projectors start... ALL ABOARD!

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow both movies are pretty impressive. The second one just made me really wish we had automatic turrets. That alone is pretty spiffy. [Roll Eyes] Thats some sexy red leader as well..

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 11:00 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and some not-so-sexy opaque yellow splices. Rates down there with the leader thrown on the floor while threading. [thumbsdown]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-11-2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the yellow splice was to show "start" for interlock situation. The red leader is nice if it is the plastic type; the painted type leader, especially red, leaves crud in the film trap.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was moved by the family's dedication to their Prakash Traveling Cinema, which they kept going even though it was unprofitable. One might expect modern children to be unimpressed, but the excitement generated by the cinema's arrival proves there's magic still in machinery and moving images.

Edison persisted in favoring peep-show presentation over screen projection until his competition forced him to switch. Nathanial Hawthorne wrote a story about a traveling showman who carried a magic lantern peep-show on his back, showing children scenes of the world, in the earliest colonial days in the U.S. And the Prakash peep-show show still excites children with anticipation of magic.

Though I've been out of the booth for years, I felt the smell of the film and lubricants, and the heat and noise of the projectors, platters and sound tracks in the Warners' Village Cinema.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our educational film library in 16mm had two special leaders on every film in the collection. The "HEADS" leaders were green in color and were plasic material with a "tooth". They were to clean the film path of the automatic threading machines before the actual film went through. This was an easy way for the inspector to tell if the film was rewound when the can was opened and without lifting out the reel or unwinding any of the film.

A RED leader of the same material was placed on the foot of each print. It cleaned out the film path and also told the inspector that the film was "tails out".

Teachers and school AV Techs were supplied with reels of the same size as those in the collection so that the last showing could be left tail out on the takeup reel and shipped in the can back to the library where it was machine inspected and rewound in a single pass through the machine.

Damage to the collection was remarkably reduced by the addition of these leaders and much time was saved in the inspection process by indetifying heads out prints.

Each reel was sealed with an adhesive paper label by the inspector so if the seal was unbroken, the reel had not been run.

(At the Temple, we attached seals to our outgoing reels that were imprinted, "Projected with pride by members of IATSE Local #35")

KEN

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-11-2007 05:45 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Protect A Print" film leaders had the rough side for "cleaning"...they where not bad [Smile] I was talking about the reclaimed leader that has a painted surface [puke]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-11-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone will ever see a 100 year old digital projector in regular use.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: