Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Would a Contemporary Lens Have a Greater Depth of Field? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Would a Contemporary Lens Have a Greater Depth of Field?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-07-2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every year this is an issue on a couple of festivals that have subtitles. On scope if subtitles are sharp the center of the screen and up are soft. Flat is not an issue, there seems to be enough depth of field for both to be OK, never got a complaint.

Here is the info. Throw 110 ft., angle 14 degrees, screen height 16.5+- feet same for flat and scope, width scope 36'4",
width flat 26'. Lenses---some history here, no laughing please.
Scope prime Kollmorgen BX 163 5.5" with anamorphic B&L Cinemascope I. Flat Kollmorgen BX 241 3.75". The screen is not angled.

Flat gives sharp subs and image, scope is noticeably soft if subs are sharp. Would modern lenses improve on this depth of field problem on scope? Seems to me that the issue lies in the anamorphic since flat even with much greater magnification doesnt have this problem.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-07-2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the projector is OK since flat is OK. (It is possible for this to be wrong since you are using the full height of the film only in scope.)

The only thing I see wrong on scope is that the BX-163 (I think) has a primitive magnecom built in; not the greatest idea.

I would get a modern scope backup and test to see if a full or partial cure happened. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many factors in play here. The lenses you are using are notorious for poor focus uniformity due to the presumption that the film was flat in the gate. However, when heat hits the film, it swells towards the light source making the focus want to be at the screen plane and further away at the edges.

Of the old lenses, the BX163s are pretty bad as lens go (they are the black ones and have maybe 4 elements in them...I'd have check on that to get exact specifications.

Now, combine that with your steep down angle and you have yourself a risky situation. Note, for flat, you have less heat hitting the film (more hitting the aperture plate) so it will suffer less in this regard.

The Scope attachment should perform zero magnification in the vertical plane (Cylindrical lens elements, not spherical). However, it is possible for the elements to rotate with respect to themselves that will prevent one from EVER getting uniform focus.

I would think that modern lenses could have a rather marked improvement to what you have now (both prime and anamorphic attachment). The ISCO Blue Star is real hard to beat for anamorphic attachments. As for prime lenses, you are looking at a 140mm...they normally do pretty darn well with off axis projection. Either ISCO or Schneider will do you real good. If you have light to spare, Schneider can make stop down rings for their lenses greater than 100mm. These stop down rings will also improve corner-corner sharpness.

One thing you can check though it won't be conclusive is to pull the anamorphic and look at real target film and note the resolution...then see what the resolution with the anamorphic attachment on.

Louis is mistaken about the model you listed as having a crude MagnaCom in it...those were the short EF lenses. The BX294 is the lens series that had the Magnacom 69 in them...they also had an "X" in their name.

Another thing going for new lenses is that you ran carbons for many years and no doubt had smokers in the booth...I've seen many a lens collect soot from all that.

If you have straight gates in your XLs...you might also find that curved gates improve your focus situation.

So...change the prime lenses and you will see a marked improvement...change them both and you won't be able to believe how much better it can be.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2007 10:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenses are a definite, but in situations where I have a top/bottom or left/right focus issue, it can almost always be corrected with some careful turret or gate adjustments, or sometimes shimming of the lenses in their holders.

I've got a nice condition used ISCO 135mm lens and anamorphic I can loan you for testing purposes if you pay the freight.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-08-2007 06:40 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Steve covered it all very well! Louis

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-08-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A minor point ... If the films have subtitles burned in with a laser, they will be a little out of the focal plane of the emulsion, causing a bit more of a focus problem. But, yeah, a 14 deg tilt is gonna cause some issues.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 02:38 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had the same issues with scope in our theater. We upgraded 3 out of 4 lenses to schneiders with schneider anamorphics. What a difference.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found out that using one complete lens for cinemascope gives sharper and better focus in subtitled features throughout the image rather than using a 2 lens solution (lens and anamorphic) When using 2 lens solution the projector has to be 0 degrees throw to the screen in order to have a uniform sharp image. Laser subtitles are the main cause of problem. When using "wax" subtitles you should not have any problem.
Demetris

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried getting an intergrated anamorphic but Schneider didn't make one for the focal length I needed. As for our theater, luckily we are at a zero angle.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-08-2007 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A one piece really is actually two seperate lenses and many integrated anamorphics backup lens can be unscrewed from the anamorph. If you think two part lenses are bad you obviously have not tried a Blue Star anamorphic with one of the higher quality Isco backups. The difference is beyond astonishing!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-08-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demetris...what you said makes ZERO sense. There is nothing inherently better with integrated anamorphics...in fact, they are the inferior ones. In the name of size and space, they are almost all 4-element designs that are inferior to the Isco 5-element, 6-element designs. Schneider's "integrated" anamorphic may be ordered as a separate piece as the "ES Anamorphic". As short anamorphics go, it is the best I've found. Once you get to 55-60mm though, the Blue-Star anamorphic attachment is notably superior to others. I've used them with all sorts of down angles as well as lens shifting.

One thing many people don't seem to realize is that focus starts with the lamp itself and how it is aligned as well as reflector design. They all work as a team.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this theater with extreme angle throw and we can not get even focus on scope films (talking about huge angle) no matter how hard we try. Combination of Galileo 105mm lens with Isco Optic Gold Anamorphic. This is mostly to the throw angle rather than the lenses. I do though have the same setup in a village cinema with the same result and very little throw angle. A small country can keep a stock of lenses just to check whether a problem can be fixed but in the second case, when I tried a single lens solution from Isco Optics which I borrowed from another cinema and then gave back, I managed to achieve perfectly sharp focus in all films including films with laser subtitles.
Demetris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With extreme down angles sometimes the screen has to be tipped back at the top to solve both keystone and focus issues. There were several theaters in Chicago like that.

I forgot to mention that the down tilt was so extreme in these theaters that the xenon lamps had to be installed in the reverse fashion as in a Super Trooper spotlight. This way they'd stay lit and just make warranty hours.

Mark

Mark

[ 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-09-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'scuse me if this sounds impractical, but could the trap/gate be angled somehow? It might not address keystoning, but wouldn't it fix the focus error?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-09-2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People were shimming Century gate shoes back in the "70's with business cards or beer can shims to get even focus. At that time it was due to abysmal build quality.

[ 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Sam D. Chavez ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: