Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Modifying Cooling on a Super Hightlight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Modifying Cooling on a Super Hightlight
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried modifying the forced air lamp cooling system on a Super Highlight console? It just seems to me that the single air spout at the front of the bulb doesn't provide enough air flow over the bulb.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-08-2007 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't say if it is a Highlite or Highlite 2, the 2 also has a front mounted blower below the schnood. If your exhaust was properly set up the normal internal cooling is usually adaquate for up to a 3kw lamp. The exhaust should be 900 plus cfm for a 2kw and 1500 plus for a 3-4 kw. These are minimum specs I reccomend. If there is very little air comming from the internal exhaust then check the small squirrel cage blower to see if the wheel vanes are clogged with dust, this happens and is common. Disnmantle an clean at least once a year, more often if you're in dusty conditions. also oil the motor while you're at it. A few drops of 30 weight non-detergent in each hole is good.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 05:08 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Its a Super Highlight (1988). I was looking to modify the cooling to something like how Strong has them now with the whole back end of the reflector boxed in with the high velocity blower(s) to push air from back to front over the bulb. I am also looking into mounting higher velocity updraft blowers aswell.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-08-2007 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be done but it would cost$$. The more important aspect is thestack blower. That alone will increase lamp life drastically when its adaquate.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 07:23 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Stack blower"? Are you refering to the updraft blower on the roof?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-08-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 08:46 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotchya. [Big Grin]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The exhaust should be 900 plus cfm for a 2kw and 1500 plus for a 3-4 kw.
Hey Mark,

What size of air duct are you using to get 900+ cfm. My Super Hghlights (1988) have a 6" exhaust with flex transitioned to an 8" metal tube up to the mushroom blower. I had my HVAC tech take a look at the setup and he said it would very unlikely to move 900cfm (approx. 2 tons) through this size duct. He recommended transitioning from the 6" directly to to at least a 10" duct all the way up.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 08:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every elbow foot of pipe piece of flex introduces static pressure on the system loading the fan and as such reducing total CFM
It is virtualy impossible to move 900 CFm through a round 6" opening

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always spec. in 8" or 10" duct depending on how long the run is and the lamphouse wattage. We prefer the blowers mounted inside because outside maintainance is ONLY NEEDED in the winter when its blowing 60mph.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 07:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indeed. My theatres once had pitched roofs and outside exhausts. We learned quickly that INSIDE blowers are best. A pitched roof with 1/2 inch of ice is no thrill when you have to tie down the extension ladders that allow you up-the roof. (Note that failures occur ONLY in cold weather.) Louis

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2007 11:36 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of inside blower do you use?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2007 07:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grainger 7C038 for up to 2kw... sized up with similar series blowers for up to 4kw and over that wattage the radial series bowers produce more air movement but are quite expensive. If you get just the 7C038 blower without motor Emerson makes a ball bearing motor that fits so you don't have to use the crappy Chineese bushing style motor Grainger supplies. The Chineese motor Grainger sells runs VERY hot! The Emerson makes this into a non-maintainance issue.

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 12:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to an HVAC guy about xenon exhaust in a larger multiplex. He suggested that it might be better to design the system such that, say, half of the exhausts where ducted together and install a closet-sized air handler large enough. For some redundancy, half would be on one system, half on the other. When the cost of labor to frame out each hole in the roof, a buy and wire separate blowers for each projector, reduced maintaince etc. was added up, the idea did make some sense.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 01:05 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the return air closet idea on a multiplex upgrade in an old structure. All the air handlers for the auditoriums where located on the projection floor so building extra exhaust closets for the lamphouses where cost effective. Dampers where used to balance the system and has been trouble free in the past 22 years with excellent bulb life.
Every new or used Highlight we worked on where modified to eight inch prior to install. Older units with no reflector air chamber we would upgrade the wimpy muffin fan in the sheet metal support; end result better bulb life and less reflector pealing. We also had a $2.50 fix for the focus problem on the older units. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: