Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP45 processors

Author Topic: Dolby CP45 processors
Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 05:38 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my cinema we use 4 CP45 processors and i hate them..they have so many problems like buzzing and always need to be dolby toned more often than the digital processors. I couldnt see why cineworld didnt go for all digital processors when they installed the site.Maybe there is a problem with our analogue processors, maybe i should adjust the analogue current on the pre-amp?.

Ive spoken to alot of engineers about using DTS and they said they didnt really see a difference in quality with the Dolby and DTS processors thats way alot cineworlds sites dont install DTS, I find that hard to believe. Because ive heard a number of films in DTS and they have always sounded alot smoother in sound. Superman returns i saw in DTS sounded far superior to the Dolby print, the dolby sounded alot more harsh in areas and didnt have a clearer surround mix. This is my own opinion obviously.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 06:53 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should not downgrade the CP45s. After all they do carry the Dolby Brand and Dolby never makes a product without concern. The problems you are refering with the processors can be a hundred of things. Improper grounding, missalinged projector sound optics, speaker cables passing allong with power lines and so on and so forth. You might be correct with the DTS system as to "reliability" of the system because it can play back no matter how worn a print is considering you do receive the discs. In this forum we have started wars thousands of time regarding which system sounds better, DTS or Dolby Digital, and no one ever won. Its a matter of like and dislike. The main thing is that a good equilized system will sound as good in DTS as it will in Dolby and FT members please don't start arguing again! You have not provided info as to the other booth equipment you have, projectors, readers, lamphouses, amplifiers e.t.c. Are these processors only running analog sound or are they playing digital from either a DA20 or a DTS player? Try to post these details and some photos of the booth if possible and you never know if a FilmTecher might be available to offer some help.
Demetris

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 07:43 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The buzzing may be interfearence from the Deaf loop. Try unplugging that from the moitor and see what happens. had a slimilar problem in Swindon and had to leave it diconected and that was in a CP500 screen. We stopped using DTS as it proved to be more hassle than it's worth!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2007 02:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't know...the CP45 was very un-Dolby like from start to finish. It validated doing things the wrong way. You state that a properly EQed system...will yadda, yadda, yadda...one can't properly EQ most rooms with the CP45's ill-conceived "EQ." The lack of real SR also validates not really decoding the soundtrack properly. I can't stand even the volume control that moves if you look at it too hard. It definately was not Dolby's finest hour.

Steve

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 03:38 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
The buzzing may be interfearence from the Deaf loop.
Never heard of that before. Is this a term used across the pond for the Assisted Listening Device (ALD) or Hearing Impaired (H/I) system?

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct Ken!.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes in the UK if you are deaf you are deaf, not hearing impaired or audibly challenged, say it like it is PC is CRAP and creates jobs for the knob heads (sorry PENIS BRAINDED GOVERMENT OFFICIALS)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understanding that the CP45 is NOT a great processor like the cp-65. It is nevertheless suitable for professional use.

Properly set up it is quiet and not distorted. Dialog is articulate.

Third octave EQ is over rated since most overuse it. I am a minimalist on eq; thus, I am OK on the cp45 unless used for premier situations.

If you have a "technician problem" I know that Bell Theatre Service in London is excellent in Dolby related matters. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: