Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is the best way to clean the screen? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is the best way to clean the screen?
Casey Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Casey Andrews   Email Casey Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have been noticing some gunk and such on the surface of our screens in just about every auditorium. is there any way to get this done without ruining the integrity and presentation of the image? im looking to do this myself, and i was just wanting to know the tricks of the trade.

if you have any advice, please let me know. i would hate if they got any worse.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are professional procedures in doing screen cleaning and that is by hiring it done by qualified servicepeople.

But..it can be done by an individual who is careful enough to still get the job done and with excellent results.

In my experiences in cleaning screens is that it can be done by an individual, but have to be careful at the same time (and if you've got a silver screen, don't even think of it, just replace it with a standard screen) to ensure unnoticable conclusions afterwards.

First thing, if you got a screen brush, is to brush the entire screen to remove large amounts of dust and whatever is attached to the screen before doing any wet cleaning.

What I've done in the past is you have two, 5 gal buckets of warm water - one with a dash of dish soap in it and the other one as rinse water.

You then have a push broom head (new, or at least very clean) on an extention pole (since you need to reach the top of the screen) and a few bath towels that you can wrap over the head over the push broom.

(While, we are on the topic of screen cleaning, go behind the screen and see how many dust bunnies are clinging to the rear of the screen. And if you got quite the bunch, think how the sound is fighting through the dust bunnies to make that movie sound better - get rid of the dust bunnies before doing any wet screen cleaning...for if you don't get rid of the dust bunnies when doing your wet cleaning, you'll pull them bunnies through the screen holes and then you'll definitely have a good mess on your hands.)

You take one towel, soak it in the soap water and wrap it around the broom head. Then approach the screen at the top and do a wipe straight down and bring the head away from the screen. Then repeat the same process - don't go up and down, nor sideways, but just one downward direction only AND at a continual stroke speed and pressure. Do this on about 3 to 5 passes on the screen. After each third pass, take the towel, rinse it in the rinse bucket before returning it into the soap bucket for the next series of passes on the screen.

You'll be changing out the towels after awhile, why the numerous towels to have on store when cleaning screens.

Hope this helps - good luck ... Monte

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-31-2007 07:25 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought conventional wisdom was that this sort of thing was a very bad idea, and that you should only spot-clean obvious bad spots?

I would be very very careful.

--jhawk

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-31-2007 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The key is (in Monte's term) "a dash" of soap in the water. In other words, VERY LITTLE SOAP.

Above all, don't do any "rubbing" on the screen with anything. You'll take off the finish and wind up with a hot spot that will look worse than any dirt ever did. (Been there.)

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Casey ...Monte is correct on how to clean a screen but I feel there are better products out there to do the job.I have had great success using ENJO multifibre floor sweeping mops.These aren't cheap but they really get the dirt off the screen without any harshness to the screen and with very little pressure needed.I use two floor mops...one I use wet with the water/soap and then I rinse it and use it with the plain water.The second I keep dry to remove the dust initially and then to remove any excess moisture on the screen at the end of the cleaning.The code for the Enjo floor mop is NR 40340 and the mop head attachment is NR 41001.I attach this to a 6 metre aluminium extension pole.Does a great job but still doesn't help the sore neck and back at the end of the job.
Cheers Ian

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-04-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a gain=1 matte screen, gentle cleaning can work, as there is no coating on the screen. But for any screen with a gain surface, wet cleaning or rubbing will likely affect the gain surface, leaving an obvious and permanent spot due to the change in reflectance.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White paint also works [eyes] I actually walked into an auditorium which had a painter on a lift, almost done painting a 50 foot screen. I shook my head and talked to him about light loss and gain screens. The next day I stopped by, and he had taken it upon himself to paint it with textured ceiling paint with the little sparklies in it. Needless to say, he bought himself a nice shiny screen that day.

Rick

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange but true, the US patent office on April 23, 2002 issued patent 6375755 "Method of cleaning a movie screen".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-04-2007 02:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is that this works only once, only on MATTE WHITE and after the second time the screen definately takes on a different look all of its own. Personally I do not advocate cleaning any screen except from the back with a vaccum to keep the perfs open...

In the early 3D days many screens were painted silver with special "3-D paint" you could buy fomr us supply dealers. I saw a few jobs that actually looked quite good until you got close up and saw how many perfs were plugged up with paint.... But of course someone that is only going to paint a screen surely isn't interested in any decent quality sound reproduction anyway.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-04-2007 02:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicote sold 3d paint as well
The method I saw used best was for the back of the screen to be vacumed while the paint was still wet to draw it through the perfs
One had to be carefull as the solvents in the aluminum paint would actually melt the plastic screen if put on two thick

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 09:57 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a moviegoer who loves curtains and hates preshow slides & videos, I have often wondered:

- Do you have to clean your screen less often if it is curtained between shows?
- Is the revenue from pre-show commercials greater than the costs of keeping the screen clean?

And of course, the immeasurable question:
-Would ticket sales increase if a theatre did away with pre-show ads, installed a curtain and then advertised the fact on its Marquee, Website, Box Office & Newspaper Ads.

(One thing I know from my days as an usher years ago: If you use leaf blowers to clean the auditorium between shows, they kick up a lot of crap on your screen.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2007 03:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1-Would ticket sales increase if a theatre did away with pre-show ads,
2-installed a curtain and then advertised the fact on its Marquee, Website, Box Office & Newspaper Ads.

(One thing I know from my days as an usher years ago: If you use leaf blowers to clean the auditorium between shows, they kick up a lot of crap on your screen).

Screen ads, (called "rolling stock" in this business nowdays) generates extra revenue no matter what the ticket sales are .. good or bad. One could call showing screen ads as a 'buffer zone' for the circuits or individual theatre to have that extra revenue coming in as straight profit.

Sadly, even though curtains look great, protects the screen and gives a nice touch to the house, curtains are such maintenance and upkeep hogs that for a complex to add curtains would be a massive money wasting liability these days.

Then, without screen ads on the screen, the idea of the advertisers not getting their ads being place more directly isn't in their best of mind either.

In this day and age of the theatre industry, it's the drive to continually to generate a profit each and every day since the cost of operating a circuit or indie theatre is not as cheap as it was in the 'good ol' days' as a bunch of us know it as.

(and yes, leaf blowers do blow quite a bit under the screen .. and behind it as well.. why custodials should be properly trained on how to use the blowers in where it can bypass the screen, or at least if junk goes under...please remove it ...)

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 04:22 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Revenue from pre-show ads is very high considering the cost involved. There is little extra work involved too. The ad company comes in and changes the slides for you. The only extra work is for the projectionist to ad commercials to the prints. They are already being paid so there is no extra costs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2007 03:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
The ad company comes in and changes the slides for you.
(why nowdays, slides changing is accomplished over the internet when a lot of circuits nowdays uses digital units - like REG's CineMedia system)

..only thing we booth joeys have to do is change out the bulbs, keep an eye on focus and tell the mgrs when the projector goes kapooie so they can holler at the digital people that a unit went down.

Yea, we've got a location that do have curtains, but I had to disable them to be able to run screen ads. Thus, I have to dust these screens in the same frequency as with the open screen locations..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Yea, we've got a location that do have curtains, but I had to disable them to be able to run screen ads.
Thats just a plain lack of showmanship... I'm surprised at you Monte [Wink] ! Program your automation for a curtain call or program it to close the curtain just before the film starts. Cloose it again at the end of the film as usual and then when the auditorium is clear open it and start the pre-show. It adds a nice little touch that people WILL notice!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: