Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby debuts new trailer on YouTube (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby debuts new trailer on YouTube
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this was originally posted in December but I read about it in this month's Boxoffice.

Dolby's new "CITY" trailer

If you look at the related links, there are two "work in progress" versions.

I thought about posting this in the random video links thread, but thought it deserved its own thread.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first saw this played before Bridge To Terabithia at the Star Cinema in Johnson Creek, WI... on their large THX certified screen.

It's a pretty cool trailer, I actually emailed Dolby on the small chance there was a way to get this on DVD... no reply of course. [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think by the time we have flying cars that we'll still be using ol' crappy AC3. Instead we'll have something from the future, like Dolby Troo HD.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 09:50 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. Now maybe I can finally get rid of Curious George. [Smile]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-29-2007 11:52 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original City represent.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 01:57 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, its better than DTS's new trailer...if that says much.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-30-2007 05:22 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always enjoyed all of Dolby's trailers but none of Honolulu's theatres play them anymore. Where has showmanship gone?

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-30-2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That new city trailer is pretty decent, at least in terms of the treatment of the futuristic CGI city. However, I think the treatment of the Dolby Digital logo is rather weak. The original City trailer did more to pump up the brand.

Out of all those sound format trailers, Cimarron and Grand (trailers for THX) are my favorites. Their visuals were great (not to mention outstanding audio) and the logos were treated in a very dynamic fashion. I think THX should get those snipes drafted over to 2K JPEG2000 for digital projection use, if they have not done so already. Sure, those trailers are old, but they're classic. They work. Many of the new ones for various formats just don't have the audio/visual punch of those clips.

Like others have mentioned, it's exceedingly rare for theaters to play a Dolby Digital trailer before a movie.

The only theater in this part of the country that plays them on a regular basis is the Harkins Bricktown 16 in downtown Oklahoma City. Every time I've visited the Cine Capris they've played the Dolby Aurora trailer.

A Harkins Cine Carpis house in Denver that Joe R. and I visited last fall played the DD Stomp trailer -without the digital audio engaged.

What I think has been VERY ODD is how hardly any DVD movies have featured Dolby Digital trailers on them. It's especially odd when you consider Dolby has made quite a few different DD trailers. We got burned out on the mere two DTS trailers that have shown up on hundreds of DVDs. I think I've seen DD trailers show up on only a handful of discs. There's one on the T2: Ultimate Edition DVD. I think there's one on Akira. Wasn't there a Curious George-themed DD trailer on the DVD for Madagascar? As ubiquitous as Dolby Digital has become it would seem like we would have seen a lot more of those various trailers on DVD releases.

As more theaters convert over to digital cinema systems, items like Dolby Digital trailers are going to become less and less relevant. There may not be any fancy name one can attach to 24-bit 5.1 channel uncompressed LPCM, but I'll take it over a 320kb/s lossy DD 5.1 track any day.

With that stated, it seems like Dolby and DTS are both just going to have to start coming up with sound format trailers that may only be viewed in home theater settings and in relation to exclusive home audio formats like Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

If THX can get their marketing act together, they can at least keep some level of prominence as theaters embrace all digital gear. The Texas Instruments' DLP "explosion" trailer and Christie's digital projection trailer are both pretty cool, but they still don't give me that awesome chill I get from the THX Cimmaron clip.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 10:43 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Bobby's point I wonder if with Digital Cinema gaining a foothold if THX or another "sound system" will get a foothold again. Since all theaters will be uncompressed digital sound, you'd think there'd be an opportunity for something to market.

How about BMSS (Brad Miller Super Sound)?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-30-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it sounds really good on THX certified computer speakers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-30-2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
To Bobby's point I wonder if with Digital Cinema gaining a foothold if THX or another "sound system" will get a foothold again. Since all theaters will be uncompressed digital sound, you'd think there'd be an opportunity for something to market.
THX is not a sound encoding and compression format like Dolby Digital or DTS. The certification program mandates a certain level of quality for hardware used in the booth rack and mandates a lot of audio design criteria for the auditoriums.

With that being noted, THX has every bit as much relevance in digital cinema equipped theaters as it did in film based theaters. In fact, the higher quality audio tracks offered by digital cinema makes it even more crucial for the movie theater to be using good hardware and auditorium design.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2007 03:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
it's exceedingly rare for theaters to play a Dolby Digital trailer before a movie.
Not around here. We play the Dolby trailer on 100% of our shows, even the kiddie matinees.

With lots of movies, it's the only chance to really "show off" the sound system.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
There may not be any fancy name one can attach to 24-bit 5.1 channel uncompressed LPCM, but I'll take it over a 320kb/s lossy DD 5.1 track any day.
Is 320kb/s technically the bitrate it's at on the film?

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 05:35 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a pretty cool trailer. Thanks for the link!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-30-2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Strube
Is 320kb/s technically the bitrate it's at on the film?
Yes. The 5.1 audio track in theatrical Dolby Digital is encoded at 320kb/s. FWIW, the data on the film strip has a total of around 550 kilobits per second available. That extra data is used for error correction and data redundancy.

FYI, DD 5.1 on DVD typically runs at 448kb/s or sometimes 384kb/s. It can run at higher rates on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, sometimes at the 640kb/s maximum rate. Dolby Digital Plus allows higher bit rates and more discrete channels of audio. Dolby TrueHD is a lossless compressed format that runs at even higher data bandwidths.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: