Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Picture flicker on Christies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Picture flicker on Christies
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 11:07 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our picture flickers. It almost looks like the shutter is slightly out of time, however, it is not. I not only replaced the entire assemblie, but retimed it as well. A brand new bulb was put in, however, nothing has changed. There was a somewhat large amount of dirt (belt dust, leaking bearings = mess) on the inside of the projector, but nothing really seemed out of place. The shutter belt was worn down a bit and replaced. So why is this still flickering? Could it possibly be a diode? Usually if its a diode, the flicker is much more pronounced, this is bad, but not horrible. Bright white scenes are intolerable for ME to watch, however, we have not received any complaints.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-29-2007 12:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulb is focued in too close to the trap and gate. Back the bulb off a bit.
quote: Frank Dubrois
Bright white scenes are intolerable for ME to watch
..this was the first clue that tipped this off.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 01:13 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it sounds like a diode problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2007 02:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a diode, the picture will be fairly dim and the flicker to a ridiculous level.

I'm with Monte on this one, the bulb is probably not focused properly. Are the bright scenes REALLY BRIGHT? If so, that's your problem. The bulb needs to be focused properly.

Of course those Christie lamphouses DO put off one hell of a lot of light, so maybe you will want to swap that out with a Strong or something. [Razz]

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 03:47 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a few houses like that here and the bulbs are focused properly (trust me). How common is it for the diodes on these to fail, and do they ware down over time? Or is it simply, it lights or it doesn't. As an example lets say i have a 7 year old SLC with more then likely original diodes with 2k in a 100 seat house. The shutter is correctly timed as well. Any light (white) looks like a slight subtle strobe effect in the light output and really bothers me but since customers don't complain no one else cares.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 06:43 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex, that sounds like the issue I have. I've had a SLC lamphouse that had a bad diode where the lamp lit, but the flicker was ridiculously obvious. It was almost like a blinking rather than a stobe. I will check on the bulb issue and see if that solves it, if not, then back to the drawing board.

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 06:44 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed similar problems with my two DP-70s with Christie lamphouses (with 3K bulbs). I kept noticing a strange flicker, but no one ever complained, and other people in the booth seemed to not notice it until I pointed it out.

I had a technician come in to fix some other problems we were having and asked him to look at the flicker. Unfortunately, someone else was covering for me in the booth when they checked out the flicker problem, and neither of them were able to really see the flicker or notice any problems.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-29-2007 09:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Electrical problems aside, there are 2 other possibilities: 1. Slight mis alignment will yield a "shimmer" when light is very bright 22 ft/lm or more. 2. I assume you have the Christie (no gears/but fears) projector. One of the design errors of that macine is that the shutter is small and close to the film. When very bright the "sharp, optically" edge will be in focus and will be more visible. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2007 09:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
One of the design errors of that macine is that the shutter is small and close to the film. When very bright the "sharp, optically" edge will be in focus and will be more visible.
Actually you need to check and see if you have double or single blade shutters on your P35GP's. The single blade P-35 does not suffer from the flicker that plagued all double blade P-35's. Any double blade P35GP is convertable to single blade and the conversion takes about 20 min. per machine. Aside fomr elimination of all flicker there is also an increase of about 5% of light output.

Re the DP-70 guy: Check your filter caps in your rectifiers... the ripple may be too high. Not many techs can properly check this. Also, running with a high leg on three phase AC can cause flicker on some rectifiers. Also, make sure your on screen light level is not too high... this is easy to do with a DP-70 although the double speed shutter cuts off very fast allowing higher than nor al light levels. We have run them as high as 22fl with out any visible flicker..

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an issue with a rectifier and it proved that it had a couple of bad diodes. What I always do is change the whole lot with new ones which are exactly the same. Even though they might have the same specs, an old bunch has some deterioration. What did happen to this house was that when the projector was not running, the lamp performed perfectly. When the projector did run, the lamp had something like a dimming up and down a very low one but really disturbing. It took me a while to figure out that it was NOT the projectors' problem but actually the rectifier. Changed the whole lot of diodes and the problem solved.
Demetris

Sorry for the edit. What you should check, is check the lamp without any film running. That will tell you what is going on.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-29-2007 03:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem is more pronounced in 60Hz countries. (12 Hz beat vs 2 Hz beat.) Louis

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasnt lamp focus....I suspect diodes. This isnt the type of problem you can test the diodes for is it? If I'm not mistaken, the diode tests ok until a load is put on it, then I get this flicker Why do some diodes read differently then others? Is a higher number better or worse?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2007 06:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember to ALWAYS replace all the diodes at the same time. I reccomend the Semikron 160 amp diodes in the same size package as the 85 amp jobs that are in there. All you need do is drill the loke a bit larger for the metric thread. Irem uses the Semikrons in all their products.

Mark

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 07:23 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input ya'll! I found a brand new diode rack with the plates, slightly higher gage wires with better connection points with slightly larger diodes barried in our supply area. After speaking with my tech I got the ok to swap it out.

#7 now looks beautiful! [Smile] A shame Dead Silence is playing in it but at least its scope. Now all I need to do is get these couple of spit balls off the screen that I noticed while doing all of this.. [Mad] Typical.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 02:31 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Important tip! The best way to check whether its your projector timing is just throw straight light with no film. If the flicker is visible go straight on the lamphouse/rectifier. If not then there you go on the projector shutter timing.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: