Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital Video To 35MM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Video To 35MM
Cody Boring
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Cody Boring   Email Cody Boring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a company that will convert digital video to 35mm. I would like to create my own video saying welcome to the theater and please shut off cell phones etc. [Cool]
Cody Boring

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-25-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many film labs offer that service:

Kodak Lab Directory

For a short snipe, you might actually find that originating on 35mm film would be cheaper than originating on digital video and paying for a 35mm transfer. And the quality will be better.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finding somebody to do it shouldn't be too difficult, Technicolor for example, but it will be expensive for a small job like this. You will need picture and track negatives, and then a combined print, and there will be a minimum charge for each of these. It might be cheaper to shoot it on film. The quality of DV isn't that great on a large screen; if you're going to generate it electronically it would be better to use something with a higher quality, which if you're thinking of animated graphics needn't be expensive; Final Cut Studio would do it. If you want to shoot live action then I'd try to use at least HD, but again that will increase the cost.

Another possibility would be to install a video projectot, that you could then use for other purposes as well.

Cody Boring
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for Cody Boring   Email Cody Boring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, Thanks! That helps a lot gentleman.
Do you know of a place that sales stock 35MM film that has please turn off your cellphone etc on them

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2007 10:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.filmack.com

They can do the video to 35mm transfer you want AND they have a variety of policy trailers. Beware, though...their animated stuff is hopelessly dated and cheesy. (They're still selling the same stuff they were making in the 1970s.)

Video-film transfers and custom jobs are super expensive unless you're a big chain buying thousands of copies. FYI, I inquired a couple of years ago about getting a custom-designed strip about our 75th anniversary. I wanted just a 10-second thing saying "Welcome to the Roxy...celebrating 75 years" ...didn't even need to have sound on it. It was something like $1200 to get made, so I used the cheaper method of printing a sign on my computer for about $1.00.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 10:44 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Preshow Productions
for both generic and custom policy trailers. Doug is great to work with and has very high quality stuff.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 12:05 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've used Cinema Concepts 1-800-showads or www.cinemaconcepts.com . They have generic policy/feature snipes aswell as a wide range of others like where to put your trash and holiday gift certificate ads. You can call for demo DVD's and pricing sheets.

For cell phones I ordered quite a few of the Inspector Cluoso ads that Sony made available prior to the release of Pink Panther (2005). They were offered free of charge through the exhibitor website and by phone. The cool thing is that they don't directly advertise the movie so I still use them even now and they have held up quite well (very few scratches if any) 2 years later. I just checked the exhibitor site (http://www.sonypicturesreleasing.com/PR-WEB/logInPath.do
, but I didn't see them still listed (not surprised). You could try calling them though: (310) 244-8931 to see if they still have any in stock.

Basic synopsis of the trailer (approx :60):

Begins with Inspector sitting in a crowded auditorium with grown woman on one side and a little girl on the other and several little kids back behind him. He is slurping his soda when his cell phone begins to ring(pink panther theme). He looks at the little girl and tells her she is rude for having her cell turned on. HSe replies "I don't have a cell phone". He turns his attention to the screen and the cell goes off again. This time he realizes it is his. He takes it out puts it on vibrate. It goes off again vibrating in his pocket and he gets a stunned pleasure looked on his face (mild adult humor). He then slips out of seat to the floor legs go in the air shaking. Screen then cuts to a tag line "Get a Clue. Don't be a Clouso" and then to a shot of the animated Pink Pather giving the shhh... sign and a caption next to him that states "Please turn off your cell phones and refrain from talking during the movie". It then goes to one more shot of all the kids peeking over their seats to see what the heck is wrong with him and then fade to black.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-26-2007 06:01 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much custom work did you need done? I make trailers.

Screen Attractions

Cody Boring
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Cody Boring   Email Cody Boring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually found what I was looking for at filmmack, I didnt know they sold it. The old lady film where she is telling you to shut up before the movie. You gotta Love it! haha

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Tim
[thumbsup]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2007 09:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Cameron, I appreciate it! [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 10:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, would you ever consider converting some of your trailers for indoor cinemas? I really like the retro-looking B&W one, in fact I have an old trailer that's very similar-looking -- it's called "Take a Chance Night" and advertises that "we can't tell you what you'll see...but it'll be a great show for the whole family!"

Anyway, I was about to click 'buy now' on your retro-trailer until I noticed it was drive-in specific...and since we are a single screen I'm not exactly prepared to order hundreds of prints! [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2007 09:42 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Thanks, Mike. Yes, I have. In fact, we're rethinking the entire shooting match. Stay tuned.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 12:29 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the subject, do these types of places still sell snips regarding the feature being presented in CinemaScope? Frankly the cheesy 70s ones are a class act and I'm a big fan. Something as such that was used at the opening credits for Kill Bill 1 for example.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-28-2007 01:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I want is a snipe that says "Presented in Glorious Monophonic Sound (in selected theatres)", preferably with a cheesy fanfare.

I would actually pay good money for this, for use on older films or in mono houses.

Also, I'd love to get a sound format trailer that actually says "Dolby SR" or "Dolby Stereo SR" in it. The current SR trailer ("Temple") just says "Dolby," which is pretty meaningless.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: