Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » feedback on film-handling guide

Author Topic: feedback on film-handling guide
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2007 06:10 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was asked to compile a list of good film handling practices, which may or may not be used by my company. in any case, i may try to self-distribute it.

here's a draft version: A Guide to Best Practices in Film Handling. i just converted it automatically to html so the formatting's wonky, but i'd like feedback on content.

as the introduction says, its focus is what projectionists can do immediately to make things better, without getting much into technical areas (since i'm not a tech).

a lot of it is straight off the forums of film-tech, perhaps with emphasis on what i perceive to be the common problems.

if anything in it seems wrong, unclear, or incomplete, sound off. i'm sure i'll have to take some pictures to illustrate some things. further tips or omissions are welcome.

it's on its 12th page as is and i don't want it to ramble too much, but i do want it to be as comprehensive as possible within its scope.

ok, have at it!

|  IP: Logged

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2007 08:50 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very good, Carl. [thumbsup]

A couple things worth adding:
  • Handling prints shipped on cores or, worse yet, on no core or reel at all. While this is generally not an issue with domestic prints, if you run film festivals with prints from outside the States or short subjects then proper practices for cored prints are a must. My biggest peeve is prints which are wound on cores then the core pushed out prior to shipment. This is felony stupidity! [Mad] I always make sure such prints leave on cores; it's a good idea to have a supply of cores on hand for this occasion.
  • In your print breakdown section, indicate that splices be peeled, not torn. With Neumade tape, peeling splices should take not much more time than tearing a splice in half.
Best of luck on your project!

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 02:49 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, jon. i think i'll address those issues in it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, you actually used caps for a change. Nice going! [Razz] [Big Grin]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2007 04:04 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is a link to the guide in its current state (this will always link to the most recent version). the illustrations look better when it's printed out. i'm still very open to suggestions for improvements.

a big thanks to jon above, and frank angel and j-hawk for their emailed contributions.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-02-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon I agree with you on the core issue except that almost all of the Indian films I run come without most of the cores, I got tired of being the core supplier for the distributor of these films and stopped giving them away, if they don't give a shit why should I? It was requiring 8 to 12 cores for every film.

[ 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-03-2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I used to do in that situation was to ring up the distributor and ask if they'd like to send me some cores (or cans, or whatever part of the packaging was missing or damaged), explaining politely but firmly that if they didn't, I'd be sending the print on with loo roll stuffed in the middle of each reel. In that situation I'd also put a note in with the film explaining why the next person was getting it in that state, with the distributor's phone number and the name of the person I spoke to.

Bizarrely, most of the major distributors would send a box of cores (or whatever) straight away, but the smaller arthouse outfits wouldn't send anything - despite that the latter had smaller print inventories per title and could less afford to absorb the costs of print damage.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-03-2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Bizarrely, most of the major distributors would send a box of cores (or whatever) straight away, but the smaller arthouse outfits wouldn't send anything - despite that the latter had smaller print inventories per title and could less afford to absorb the costs of print damage.
I don't think that's particularly bizarre. The major distributors, unlike the smaller ones, are more likely to have a budget for crap like that.

If they don't have the money to send you a core the first time, what makes you think they'll suddenly have it now?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: