Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter Problems

Author Topic: Platter Problems
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this happened to me the other night. All ads and trailers went through fine, then on Dolby logo all hell broke loose.
There is no film in payout unit as broke the join to rey and sort it out.
Any ideas, Its got me stumpped.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like old sticky film to me. I don't see any actual tangling that wouldn't pull itself through, but it's just one picture from one angle.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2007 01:53 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw something like that once with a single-sided splice on the logo trailer and sticky tape residue on the other side. Pulled another lap of film in, cinched tight, and with those lame brains the film can jump a roller and wedge the feed arm at full on infinitely!

Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2007 12:20 PM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be the potentiometer in the feed unit. When they're on the way out, it suddenly sends the feed unit into high speed. Does your alarm stop the platter?

Alex

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2007 01:16 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The platter carried on quite happy, projector also happy. It was just me that got scared so stopped and detangled it. Better safe than sorry.
Still a strange one, had many weird looking prints, turning to 50p`s, bulges etc but not this!

Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 03:47 AM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really think of anything that wouldn't have pulled some film into the feed unit,other than the potentiometer. Static, adhesive, and odd bit of splicing tape would have tried to drag something through. I would imagine you've run that programe all week without any problems. I don't know of any tests you can do, short of changing the potentiometer, and they're £40-£90. The one thing I did find when mine started playing up, was that when lacing the film through the feed unit, moving the 'T' bar very slightly, the plate jerked, as if fast feeding. Hope this helps.

Alex

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea that print had played fine all week. No problems what so ever.
Swapped over the pay out unit to the other cinema and no problems in there at all.

Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find the problem moves to the other screen, then I would suggest replacing the potentiometer. I'd be more than happy to offer some form of assistance it that if you need it. Other than that, I can't really think of anything that might cause the initial problem.

Alex

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 11:29 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, my very first post, I am so excited

William, I had a similar problem with a print. I think I see a similarity in where the problem occurred. You said it was at the Dolby Digital trailer portion of the film (and I recognize the acetate colour from the picture). My old cinema had ordered these little trailers to tag onto each film. They look cool and all but they have one problem: while manufacturing, dolby reels all of them on the “unconventional” way that prints are reeled onto collars. If you have been beside the platter system while the film reaches the first splice, you will notice that it has a tendency to curl in the opposite direction. I believe this, and perhaps some splicing tape resulted in your brain wrap.

My own experience with the darn Dolby trailers goes a little something like this:

It was the first showing of “field of our fathers” and I was on the floor in cinema #1 double checking the entire beginning of the print before the feature( all the corporate trailers, preview trailers and such). The film is now at the Dolby trailer, all is fine until it gets about 5 seconds from the end, the picture shifts upwards and then vibrates, and then the sound fails and I see the picture start to melt… Projector #1 alarm goes off, I dash upstairs…
- turns out, right at the splice, the dolby film had formed a loop and wedged itself in the potentiometer arm in the brain. After several wraps around the brain, this caused the film to jam, until the tension was great enough for the safety to engage and send the projector into alarm. Solution: remove the darn trailer.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 01:59 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly doubt it's on acetate.
And the potentiometer is the extremely unlikely culprit.

The wind of the film is virtually irrelevant in this situation and a little Film-Guard will solve the issue.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 05:23 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dolby titler in question is 6years old(and still looking good). There is no curl to it whatsoever. It has been film-guarded for the last 5years.

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 09:43 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Dolby trailer is 6 years old I see no reason why it should have its opposition curl still in it (unless you have wound it back onto a collar in the “unconventional manner”. I am out of ideas...

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 04:37 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my Dolbys get wound emulsion in onto 3inch bobbins.
Never had any curl problems with them. It takes a few weeks for them to settle down when they are new as they come in on stupidly small cores.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: