Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Literally cutting aperture corners

Author Topic: Literally cutting aperture corners
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 12:40 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the best type of file to do this? Simple enough.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-20-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of us go with a small flat file with milled edges, like the kind Sears used to sell for filing ignition points (remember those?). Produces nice clean corners.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-20-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.contenti.com/products/files/231-810-2.html

I have the #4 cut (a little coarser than #2).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-20-2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd...#4 is normally a finer cut than #2 if going by the Swiss cut patterns.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The link above is what I use for corners and smoothing.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-20-2007 09:36 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Odd...#4 is normally a finer cut than #2 if going by the Swiss cut patterns.
That's right. It even says that on the website. I was just momentarily confused.

Also,

230-314-2 4" #2
230-314-2/0 4" #00
230-336-4 6" #4

from the same website.

Has anyone experimented with something like a Dremel tool to shorten the time for basic, rough cutting? Although the #00 file above is already quite hungry, it will also tear out pieces off lesh from your arm if you aren't careful (I normally wear a glove on the left hand anyway though, because of the heat).

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-20-2007 10:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used a dremel with a portable mill vise [Cool] Hand holding not good....a nibbler for hand held is better.... remember a face mask.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-21-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LaVezzi makes one that is easy to get and inexpensive. It is a precision made file and cuts the best square corners I've seen done and it last a very long time. I think its part# AF-12 or something like that... They have just the one style so its good for casual filing or touching up a sloppy job. If you file alot then a complete set as above is best.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-21-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LaVezzi's is a #2 cut and is a bit short for my liking. It is thinner than standard pillar files though so that would helf a bit in the corners.

They also have a half-round file which can be useful for corners as well as for shaping for a curved screen.

Personally, I have a rather full set as well as precision set that has things like a 3-corner square which is great for corners.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2007 10:59 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Whiz, Brad

How many threads are there going tobe about cutting aperature plates, all discussing the same thing? [Confused] [sleep]

Once again, look for Grobet files, available through any decent lapidary supply. You need files that are "safe" meaning that one or more surfaces are without cutting teeth. The file should also be non-tapered and have square (non-radius) corners.

Brass and other non-ferrous metals like aluminum can do an excellent job of clogging files. One of the oldest tool-makers tricks is to have some good-ole chalk-board chalk in your tool box. After every other stroke or so, the file should be reloaded with chalk. This will prevent file damage and all the chips can be easily removed with a light tap on a table-top and swipe with a file card.

Two of the best ways to ruin a file: files are meant to cut on the push-stroke, not on the pull-stroke. Also, storing files together w/o a protective sleeve (letting them bang against each other).

Finally, when cutting aperatures, make sure you deburr the damn things. I was personally injured by a moron-tech who did not deburr. Basically, a burr was present and looked like a piece of lint on the screen, a major distraction for the audience. Luckily, I cought it during the trailers, so I stopped the presentation to clean. Turned out is was a burr upon which I cut myself (like a bad paper cut) and started bleeding all over the place.

K

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2007 12:36 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Will but when I did a search for this specific topic that I asked about, nothing relevant came up. If you think I missed something, then maybe you can point it out for me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-21-2007 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard... Pay no attention to the irrlevant hissing going on above you! There have been discussions in the past on filing and such but they may have been part of other threads. Sometimes they are difficult to find at best.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-21-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Once again, look for Grobet files
The files linked to above are Grobet.

Does anyone have a link to a LaVezzi catalog for files? I couldn't find them on their website.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-21-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.lavezzi.com/MotionPictureMisc.html

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2007 04:35 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use an auger bit file . . . . it's a double ended file, each end is triangular in shaped . . . the neat thing is that each end has only 2 faces that cut so you can file the lower edge in the corner without cutting into the side, 1 edge of the file is also angled so you can easily get into the corners if you have a bad keystone situation.

I bought my last few from these guys, about $10 ea:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32954&cat=1,43072,43089&ap=1

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: