Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Check it out: New Ivie analyzer

Author Topic: Check it out: New Ivie analyzer
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-16-2007 05:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this new model they have - IE-45: http://ivie.com/

Basically the same as the IE-35, same software, the difference is that it's not a jacket for a palmtop, it's an external module with processing and inputs which connects to any PC (desktop, notebook, or in this case, a Samsung Q1) via USB. The software then runs on the PC. In the picture, it's velcroed to the back of the Q1.

I am told costs are about $500-600 more for the whole package incl. the Q1, but forgot to ask how much just the module and software is when you want to use it with your notebook.

Looks interesting, although unless you have other uses for the Samsung Q1, it might be a little bit of an overkill. But the add-on option for the notebook is probably not a bad idea at all. Not quite as practical as the IE-35 since you have to fire up your notebook when you want to run it. But still an interesting concept which might be a good choice for some users.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have a lot of uses for the Q1, however, the Asus R2H is a better, faster machine with a built in GPS. I've emailed IVIE 5 times now about pricing and availability and they just cant seem to respond. I am interested in just the IE-45 add-on, if anyone know what it goes for let me know!

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may find TerraSonde Audio Toolboxes on eBay occasionally.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the IE-45 here at the NSCA show in Orlando, after looking at it,I think I will wait...when I was with UCS they brought a few of the IE-33...but when the IE-33 broke, there is no parts to fix, Ivie does not support the IE-33...I have the IE-35 now which is much better than the IE-33...I think I will wait until the next Ivie model comes out before jumping into the IE-45, since we had bad luck with the IE-33 until the 35 came out, No IE-45 for me yet...I'll wait until the next model....

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2007 11:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
too bad there not very affordable. I need one in the worst sort of way.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2007 12:21 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of problems did you have with the IE33? Mine worked flawlessly. Thats why I'm so excited about the IE-45

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-18-2007 05:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I feel bad because I think it was me who showed the IE-33 to Don and got him interested in it...

But I never actually had any serious problems with it, only that the stupid iPaq would sometimes lose its memory when not put in the cradle regularly and then you had to re-install the software which wasn't such a big deal though since Ivie then came up with that cab file which could be stored in the non-voltile memory and from which the software could be re-installed from within the unit. I always had the software on my notebook, too, so it never caused any "emergencies".

But the analyzer served me well in many adventures. Still, I think the iPaq wasn't such a good idea, and I look forward to getting the IE-35 in a few days.

quote:
I've emailed IVIE 5 times now about pricing and availability and they just cant seem to respond. I am interested in just the IE-45 add-on, if anyone know what it goes for let me know!
I have a vague idea, but I don't want to spread false information here. Who did you email? One of the regional offices? I would just call the main office in UT and ask them. I called them several times about this and that, and they always picked up the phone or always called back when not available at the moment. If you have specific technical questions, ask for Bill Raventos. But I think basically everybody there could tell you the price.

-

quote:
You may find TerraSonde Audio Toolboxes on eBay occasionally.
That looks interesting. There is actually one on ebay UK right now. It's apparently much bigger than the IE-35, though, and while it has a lot of functions, some of those aren't really necessary in the cinema. Do you have ones of those?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2007 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed I did warn you guys about the IE-33 in past posts. I had a local Megaplex customer that wanted us to quote him pricing and such on one but I refused to do so for him... he was pretty disgruntled about it but its obvious I did the right thing, and yes... I did warn him about IVIE too. What you guys don't know is that IVIE is not the company they once were when it was run by the original founders... THOSE THAT DESIGNED THE ie-30 AND pc-40. Funny that my PC-40 is still running strong after all these years and is only on its third ni-cad pack.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated in another post..I never had a problem with the IVIE either, only the IPAQ that kept locking up, or freezing or running out of juice. Maybe the IVIE caused that, I dont know, but over all, the IPAQ is far from perfect. It was very convienient to have though..email, GPS, IVIE, games to pass time.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-18-2007 05:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't trust the IE-33...it did not agree with our other analyzers on the RTA. Whenever we get new equipment...one of the first things to do was to check it against our existing standards. This found Dolby's problem with Cat 69P right away too.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve sums it up pretty well if you read between the lines. Ivie is just a name anymore its not the company that one time built great analyzers. Ivie is more of a sound reinforcement manufacturing company than anything else these days.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: