Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Static

Author Topic: Static
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a print that has a continual static problem. The booth has a good humidity level, the platters are aluminium, so earthing will not work, we're not allowed to add 'foreign' substances to prints - polish, Filmguard, hashish etc, and I've used anti-static cleaner on the platters. It is just this one print. We have Strong platters and associated brain units.
Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-16-2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
the platters are aluminium, so earthing will not work
Why not? Aluminum conducts electricity.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 04:04 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extremely poorly. I did try that last night!

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What has worked for me in the past is to alternate the waythe print runs onto the take up plate. One show sound up the next sound down.....

This also worked in the early days of towers when polyester prints first became the norm. We would run sound out then sound in on the take up spool.

Hope this helps.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
we're not allowed to add 'foreign' substances to prints - polish, Filmguard
No Filmguard? I bet your prints look fantastic after running for a while.... [thumbsdown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-16-2007 08:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to not use Film-Guard and still have good looking prints. Just not as easy.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-17-2007 03:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It is possible to not use Film-Guard and still have good looking prints
.. just the daily blowing out of the dust, or even between each showing, can keep a print clean without FG for weeks on end. Been there and done that LONG before FG came into being.
....but I wouldn't use any antistatic stuff since it's a bit on the stickey side where it leaves a residue (I've seen theatres use ScotchGuard on prints to "try" to eliminate static cling...so retarded) and your static problem will remain on that one.

Maybe, run the booth on the slight moist side since A/C units drys out the air and promotes static like mad.

..and earth as much as you can with those STRONG units.

good luck - Monte

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2007 08:03 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Filmguard? I bet your prints look fantastic after running for a while....
Well we've had Bond running since it opened, had the last Pirates for months, the only time we have problems is with poor quality prints or so called "treated" prints that have been abused before we get them. Plastic additions, in my opinion, are for the amateurs.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2007 06:58 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the film your playing with static problems?

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2007 09:58 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Outlaw. Apparently we're not the only ones to have problems. Must be a film stock problem. Have given up trying to sort it and requested a new print.

Kevin Grahams
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2007 02:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Grahams   Email Kevin Grahams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had trouble with "Outlaw" too, but only the one performance. Dug out the PTR's and, touch wood, no problems since.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2007 08:19 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the end I gave up and ordered a new print. 2 days now with no sign of a wrap and on the same platters in the the same screen. Must have been some sort of stock fault!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: