Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS question

Author Topic: SDDS question
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2007 07:10 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like to have experience with every kind of digital sound in cinema’s as long as it is possible with the upcoming D-cinema…

I already have DTS and Dolby Digital installed in my cinema, but I want SDDS to. I know the sound is great, but the physical part (on the print) isn’t.
What do SDDS players cost nowadays (second hand) and is it easily integrated with a audio system build around a Dolby CP65…

O, if somebody want to depart from his/her SDDS unit, please mail me… for a good price I may be able to convince my boss to buy one… (including penthouse reader, SDDS unit, etc…)

Bastiaan Fleerkate (Annex Cinema, Woerden, The Netherlands)

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-12-2007 07:37 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really like to have experience with every kind of digital sound in cinema’s as long as it is possible with the upcoming D-cinema…

From my very limited experience with digital cinema the sound doesn't seem to use any of these systems; it's uncompressed pcm in up to eight channels; only six normally in use. I don't know the sampling frequency, or size (number of bits). This is carried from the server to the sound system as four AES pairs, all on a single cable with 25 pin 'd' connectors. We are also using a CP-65, with a Dolby DMA8 Plus to interface the AES streams to the six channel analogue inputs on the CP65.

I don't know how you would add SDDS to your system; I've only ever heard SDDS once, as I understand it, the unit is not an add-on adapter to an existing processor, like a DA-20 or DTS-6, but a complete processsor in its own right.

Just out of interest; what would be the going rate for a secondhand DA-10 or DA-20, and a pair of readers, preferably the original ones (Cat. 699 I think). It would be quite nice to set up a system using the original readers as when the system was introduced, in the home cinema where I put four-track mag in a couple of years ago. They still show one or two films a year in it.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2007 07:58 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question was not about d-cinema... I know d-cinema has 8 channels that will be used and 16 channels waiting to be used in the future. My bad, I'm Dutch... I must read the things I write before I post them. [Razz]

As long as I can work with 35mm prints I want to have worked with SDDS, Dolby, DTS, etc... because it is going to be replaced soon by d-cinema... (yes uncompressed PCM sound). I really am a sucker for good digital sound in cinema's. [Big Grin]

For a second hand DA-20 you really have to look hard. No cinema would depart from it easily. A second hand DA-20 isn't cheap... +/- 5000 Euro's (6,583.14 USD, 3407.5 GBP) for the lot (penthouse reader, unit, etc. ) isn't an exception (in the Netherlands). [thumbsdown]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One and possibly the only "selling point" of SDDS is that it can be easily added onto any sound processor. Theoretically, you could drop a DFP D-2000 onto a Kelmar mono if you wanted too, or run it without an analog processor (highly not recommended as SDDS has shown to be unreliable). The 2000 series decoder "hangs on the end" of your existing cinema sound processor. The outputs of your processor L, C, R, S, Lfe are connected to the inputs of the DFP D-2000 and the output is connected to the inputs of your amplifiers. The "2000" carries its own B-Chain settings accessed through a PC with the set-up software that is used when it is playing digital. In bypass operation the analog signal from your CP passes through the "2000" untouched and into your amplifiers. It can be confusing for some operators because there are separate faders for analog volume and digital volume. If I remember correctly the "3000" series has a built in analog processor. Sonys analog processor that could be added to the "2000" series or used as a stand alone unit was the DCP-1000.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-12-2007 07:23 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally, you should look for a DFP-D2500. That's *in principle* the same as the DFP-D2000 described above, but a newer unit and it also uses the DFP-R3000 reader which is much better and more reliable than the old DFP-R2000. The DFP-D2000 processor is not the most reliable either. There is a certain risk involved in installing these. Installation as such is not very difficult at all if you know audio cabling and alignment, not any more difficult than installing a regular processor (and quicker).
I have no idea where you might find used systems in general or a DFP-D/R2500 system in particular these days in Europe, and how much you would have to pay for them. I have a few contacts and have to see what they say.

What type of projector do you use?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 02:04 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up 2 DFP-2000's and 1 DFP -3000 on eBay a about 2-3 years ago. One DFP-2000 came with 2 readers (whoever had it had used a 2 proj setup). I paid $500 for it. The other one had no reader, which obviously didn't matter since I had an extra reader at the time. I paid about $150 for it. The DFP-3000 came with no reader. Coudn't find the paper work on it but if I remember right I paid about $750 for it and then ordered a reader from Sony about 2-3 months before they announced that they were discontinuing SDDS. All units work fine, although I did have to replace the LED's in the DFR-2000 readers, which weren't all that expensive. I have another DFP-2000 that was installed back in 1994 that has had zero problems except for replacing its LED's.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
What type of projector do you use?
Cinemeccanica Vic 5 with penthouse Cat. 700 Dolby reader...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: