Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Checking Lamp Voltage

Author Topic: Checking Lamp Voltage
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2007 07:33 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me if the correct way to check the lamp voltage with a handheld volt meter is to place the meter leads directly on the bulb terminals after ignition with the meter set for DC voltage?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-11-2007 08:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That will certainly work; preferred: check across the rectifier output after igniting. Louis

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-11-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth stressing: do not leave the meter connected to the circuit during ignition. Otherwise you can fry your DVM.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-11-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
It's worth stressing: do not leave the meter connected to the circuit during ignition. Otherwise you can fry your DVM.
And shock yourself. [Eek!]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2007 09:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Louis. That seems to be a safer route. Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that or maybe it was when I went up to Strong last spring for one their traning seminars that the ignitor sends a "burst" of somewhere on the order of 30,000 volts to ignite, so I figured it had to be measured after ignition. But thanks to John and well...John for looking out for my safety. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: