Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scope Probes

Author Topic: Scope Probes
Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The probes for my Tek 465 are a little tired. Anybody have a good source for parts or do you have to just buy new ones. In particular, the adapter used to attach to the CP-500 test points. I hate trying to shove a hook probe into a round slot.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 01:02 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never actually hooked anything up to a CP500, but if it's the pin tip probes you need, Pomona Electronics makes some slick ones: Pomona 2882-C

It's a stackable pin tip to BNC cable. Maximum length is 60 inches. If the ground on the CP500 is too far away from the test point, you may also need a short pin tip to pin tip cable.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-10-2007 01:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use coax cables with adapters on both ends, for instance, Pomona mod# 3221 (female) or 3901 (male). That way, you can also use the coax cables for other applications, for instance with RCA-to-BNC adapters on the other end.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 01:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, and there's no real need to get the 2882-C (which is simply a 3901 with up to 60 inches of RG-58 in between the pin tips and the BNC) since one would likely want a longer coax cable anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probe Master makes the correct probes that will activate the range on the 465 scopes input jack. This is what I carry and it makes using the range switch alot easier. Their web site is here. Look at the 4901 PRobe.

Any tech worth his/her spit should always carry two scope probes with him/her... perhaps infrequently used but very handy at times for trouble shooting systems or tracing at the component level.

I agree on the 2882C... stay away from all in one cables. Best to get a decent length Coax and the correct end fittings.... There are two commonly used end fittings... the Model: 3221 straight tip used by Dolby and others and the Model 3788 clip type for Panastereso and others. I also carry a Model 1269 BNC to Bananna adaptor for checking power amps and a model model 3285 BNC T adaptor.

Mark

Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys;

As usual you are very helpful.

Paul

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-10-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I also carry a Model 1269 BNC to Bananna adaptor for checking power amps and a model model 3285 BNC T adaptor.
I have that banana adapter, too, it also comes in handy when you check DTS timecode readers or output levels with the little board that you hook up to the DTS analog out.

You can use the 3788 minigrabber on your coax cable to minigrab the test points on the DTS reader, and the 3221 pin tip goes in the board. The banana adapter on the other end goes into your multimeter.

Plus, it's a cool word to say: "banana adapter".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: