Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "FilmGuard Vinegar Syndrome Protection" (eBay)

Author Topic: "FilmGuard Vinegar Syndrome Protection" (eBay)
Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this thing called

"Prevent VINGAR SYNDROME with FILMGUARD" (eBay auction)

[Confused]
[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what is in these things, but the word 'prevent' just flies in the face of all we know about the process of deacetylation in diacetate/propionate/triacetate film base. Even a molecular sieve won't 'prevent' VS - it'll just slow it down.

VS can be slowed down by a number of methods, but it can't be arrested or reversed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-08-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's bullshit. As Leo already pointed out there is no such thing as a cure for VS. Sure there are many products out there that claim to slow it down, but nothing stops it.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2007 04:52 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It almost makes it sound like it uses FilmGuard or has some association with it. Although technically it could be called A Film Guard.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-08-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I hope your sharks (lawyers) are sending out snotty cease and desist letters to those people cashing in on YOUR namesake. You've already been thru all that with CPI!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-09-2007 01:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a link to this on the AMIA email list for them all to giggle at. According to one reply, this is possibly a rebadged product, the active ingredient of which is a copper compound, designed to inhibit oxidisation (i.e. rusting) of metals. Apparently they're used extensively in the long-term storage of still photographs (b/w paper prints) to keep the silver in the emulsion stable, and are of proven effectiveness for this application.

They've also been sold to consumers as a 'preservative' for factory pressed CDs and DVDs, the idea being to inhibit oxidisation of the substrate. Needless to say, it's open to question whether or not this has any meaningful effect.

But of course, as Brad said, the claim that it can have any effect on VS is BS. We're talking about two completely separate chemical processes.

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 11:53 AM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything about Filmguard on the page. Am I missing someting? They're not exactly overpriced at $1.98, but of course by the time you find out they don't work, these guys will be long gone.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like something may have been said to the person who posted that Ebay item. It did original use the filmguard name in it's content.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(If you notice in the header text in the body of the post, the light blue "revised" is shown meaning that he went back to his post and rewrote it to remove FG out of the text..)

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 07:46 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the FilmGuard name has been deleted. Look under momentcatcherproductions.com, the seller's e-shop page, the same product is now called

FilmHealth Movie Film Protectant - Vinegar Syndrome Eliminator

It must be improved because now it doesn't just prevent , it eliminates VS! Oh, well... [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: