Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS data but no sound?

Author Topic: SDDS data but no sound?
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2007 01:15 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I call in a tech I wonder if anyone may have an idea here.
We've got this SDDS unit that appears to be reading correctly.

Regardless of the prints, I see activity on the VU meters, the data present light blinks continuously, and the system ok light is completely extinguished.

Meanwhile I have no digital sound, the processor reverts to and stays in analog...?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-08-2007 03:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From what you describe, the odds are you just need to clean it out because it isn't reading anything. (Someone correct me since it has been 5 years since I've messed with SDDS, but I think the meters will show the pass-through audio from the analog processor when the SDDS unit is not playing or tracking digital sound.)

Let me see how "easy" I can word this. I am assuming this is a 2000 series model...

Remove the front panel (with the blue threading lines) via the several screws.

Look at the sprocket. Behind it is a wheel with little holes in it. Are they clogged with dust? If so clean them out with compressed air.

Now look at the 4:00 position of the sprocket. Do you see that little circuit board? It should be pointed straight vertical, but it likes to drift and get knocked at an angle. If it isn't vertical, loosen the screw that holds it in place just enough so you can grab the board and twist it back vertical (so it can "see" the holes in that wheel behind the sprocket), and then retighten the screw.

Try it now. That fixes about 95% of reader problems. If that doesn't do it then you need to get a tech in there to re-align the reader and/or replace a card.

If you have more than one of these units in the building, you can swap cards around, but if I remember correctly you can only swap the top 3 cards since the bottom card carries your settings. I believe it was the 2nd card down that commonly fails. (Remember to always fully power down the system before doing this!)

(I really need one of these units in front of me to jog my memory, as I don't have the time right now to download the manual.)

Brian Woods
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Brian Woods     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad that the sort of troubleshooting he suggests may clear up the problem. But, I would check with your technician before switching out cards or taking covers off. Some companies have a unauthorized repair policy that could get you in trouble if you remove certain covers or swap boards without a technician's approval. It's always better to be safe than unemployed. [Razz]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-08-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleaning the reader is always a good idea since they fill up with dust/dirt.

The system OK LED being out leads me to believe you have a board failure though...the System OK LED should always be lit after power up. The Data-Present LED will flash when it is trying to read data but has failed on both side, steady on if either side is steady good and completely off if there is nothing.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-09-2007 02:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The system probably hasn't been serviced in many years, so it could be simply that the battery for the system memory is out.

Like the other gentleman posting here, I haven't played with one of these units in many years (ah...old times...) and have to operate from my rapidly failing memory, but that battery should be located on the board at the very bottom. Before swapping it, the unit needs to be fully powered down and the settings stored on a laptop. Although if that is the case here, the settings are gone anyway...

But, as has been said above, it could also be that one of the other boards has failed. Another thing to check is to look at the board with the memory card slot (second from bottom), all the way on the left are a number of LEDs and DIP switches. The second and third LED from the left indicate the signal quality coming from the S (outboard) and P (inboard) side of the film. They should be on steadily most of the time. If not, or if off all the time, then I would check the reader and swap that board first. And also check if the reader cable is still firmly seated in the back (who knows?).

But also do what Brad said about the reader. I would do that in any case, as I assume (sorry for making an ass out of u and me) that that hasn't been done in many years either.

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 03:24 AM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a DFP-2000 unit, the VU meters are active only when playing SDDS. If they are active and there is no SDDS sound, there is something wrong on a board. I think your reader is perfectly fine. As Michael said, take a look at the LEDs that will tell you the condition of the SDDS tracks - if they are both on it's not your readers fault and try to swap the DSP 61 board. If they are both out, try to swap the EQ-53 board.

Max

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-09-2007 04:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, if the Data Present light is blinking continuously, that means that there is no solid or valid SDDS data - but at which point? If the system was OK, that would indicate it doesn't get good data from the reader.
If the System OK light wasn't out, then I would say, it's most likely the reader, but the way it is, it could be that the reader works but the processing doesn't - still, I would definitely check the reader the way Brad said, but also check the other elements mentioned in the posts above. Maybe it's several things.

But we also need Mr E to verify which system he has. Things are a little different with the 3000. IIRC, it also has a system memory battery, but I would have to look that up. Unfortunately though, I have to watch CSI now and then go to bed.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 12:28 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll be posting again about this unit I'm sure.

Today I finally got a chance to tinker with it...Turns out the scanning drum had a buildup of gummy goop similar to that of an uncleaned pressure strap!
It actually resembled the crud that builds up on a door handle that doesn't get cleaned.

Sound worked but dropped out a bit, I'll have to try it on a new print and report back.
So far so good, though. Perhaps the system ok LED is just burnt out?

--dom

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: